We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailors in Galle

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tailors in Galle

I saw an old string on this subject from late 2006.

Can anyone recommend any tailors in or near Galle?

Many thanks.

Special Offer
8-Day Sri Lanka Classic Tour
8 reviews
from US$599.00*
US$699.00
Udawalawe National Park Adventure...
7 reviews
from US$88.00*
Galle Full-Day Tour
13 reviews
from US$130.00*
Private Day Trip to Yala National...
1 review
from US$155.00*
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailors in Galle

Look in/around Sea Street, which is the main shopping road. It starts 50 meters south of the bottom tip of the bus station, beyond the post office, and then heads east in parallel with Matara Road. Most clothing shops and all fabric shops have 'on-call' tailors. No personal experience there as we do these shoppings in Colombo...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailors in Galle

Thanks, actually we will be in Colombo (on a Sunday) and visiting tailors there may be a good use of time. Any recommendations there? Paul

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailors in Galle

Majestic City (Bambalapitiya) has quite a few; we have good experiences with Crystalline's on 2nd floor. Hercules at Havelock Road (south of Cinnamon Gardens area) is about the most famous in town, also good experiences although they're best if you buy fabric elsewhere. Finally Hameedia, at 5-6 places in town, has off-the-shelf stuff but also a complete tailoring department; not the quickest in terms of service but also good.

Do note that the 'best' (cheapest) tailoring process takes 5-6 days and 3 visits:

* Day 1 measuring and selecting fabric

* Day 4 first fit of the not-fully-complete clothes

* Day 5 final fit and taking with you

Speeding up is always possible, at a considerable surcharge, but all on a single day seems like a receipe for nightmares...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailors in Galle

Thank you Erik, much appreciated. I since found your previous postings, excellent and, no, it wont be a single-day-order! P

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailors in Galle

That's excellent advice, thank you. I needed it too :)

So is there any way that we can pop by a tailor's, choose fabric and get measured, then go sightseeing around Sri Lanka, and fit and pick up just before we depart?

And what kind of prices are we looking for, for, say, a three-piece men's suit?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailors in Galle

Yes that would work, IF you do the first fit (mentioned in the list) in the morning say at 10 AM and then leave them until 4 PM for the final fit. What they have for the first fit is the complete suit but without buttons, without the inner lining etc. - because if they need to correct at that time they want to minimise the 'regression'.

For a 2-piece suite, fabric and tailoring fee (in itself around Rs 1,000) I pay around Rs 7,000. So a 3-piece men's suit overall would probably around Rs 10,000 means about 60 quid.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tailors in Galle

I think someone earlier said that tailoring here is more BHS than Saville Row (take a bow whoever said that): having seen the "suit" my son came back with from a different trip, I would concur. I would suspect that you will be pleased with the result (ie actually use it when you get home) if the item to be made is for informal use, not formal......

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tailors in Galle

Yes the quality is generally not Hong Kong or Italian level. But still quite decent, and often suitable for formal use too. My dry cleaner only had us sign papers to drop liability-in-case-of-loosing-shape on one out of four sets of jackets made in Lanka, and even that survived the dry cleaning perfectly; the other sets apparently were solid enough in the cleaner's eyes and in ours too...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Tailors in Galle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Galle