We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unawatuna or Mirissa?

yangon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Unawatuna or Mirissa?

I'll be travelling to Sri Lanka in April for ten days, and am debating where to stay.

I would prefer to stay right on the beach, though I'm not sure if this is possible (our budget. is mid-range). A little house/bungalow right on the beach would be just perfect.

I am not looking to go partying, but some restaurants nearby would be lovely.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Hi,

My choice would be for Mirissa.

Plenty of choice for good guest houses, with their gardens opening out onto the beach. Enough small restaurants etc, to vary where you eat and a much better beach than Unawatuna.

Unawatuna is bigger and has more people around if that influences you in any way but the beach is much narrower.

Rod.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Mirissa and Unawatuna are both lovely and it is hard to imagine you being disappointed whichever one you choose. I avoided Unawatuna for some time as I thought it would be too busy for me and I tend to avoid anywhere with an overly touristy feel. When we did eventually stay there though, we loved it. Unawatuna is just so pretty and there's always something to look at, and some great local walks, aswell as the best ever selection of excellent and atmospheric restaurants and cafes, right on the beach. Okay, the beach IS narrow, but there's still plenty of room and hardly anyone to share it with. Despite a few westerners, there are also plenty of local families also living in and enjoying Unawatuna so it has a lovely atmosphere and gives me, the eternal fidget, plenty to photograph and join in with. It also has a bigger accommodation choice than Mirissa, most of it in the mid-range category and a great deal of which is right on the beach.

Mirissa wins the prize for the bigger and better beach and is an idyllic setting, but it's just a bit TOO quiet for me. The only people we saw when we were there were a few European visitors hanging out at the beach cafes, playing European music and we didn't really see any local life to speak of. Pretty though it was, we didn't find it had a lot of atmosphere and I was ready to move on after a couple of nights. If you want complete escapism, however, Mirissa would be the best place for you.

Sue

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

To add: Both resorts are pretty close to eachother, so there's nothing stopping you spending time at both, whichever you choose .. or why not split your time between the two? Maybe also look at Tangalle which is further east along the south coast. Tangalle is another great combination of an unspoilt location, beautiful beach, a few different eating out options and also has quite a few great day trips you can do within a short distance, so is a particular favourite of mine. Check out the various beach cabana options in Tangalle as that might well suit you perfectly.

Sue

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

If you decide on Unawatuna, I have stayed in the Peacock Hotel which is towards the southern end of the beach. The rooms are above the eating area, budget, but quite adequate. I liked the ambiance of the place. The waves are almost close enough to crash into the eating area. A search should find details on the Net.

Chris

yangon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Thanks so much for the responses, I'll look into the Peacock Hotel.

Any other recommendations would be great.

I'll be travelling at the time of Sri Lankan new year, so apparently rooms are being booked quickly: do you (anyone?) reckon it would still be easy to find smaller places that don't have websites?

Cheers!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Hi,

I stayed in Mirissa this year for the Sinhala new year .

We were a group of four and stayed in the Mirissa beach Inn. We had no problem getting rooms and there were plenty of vacancies all along the beach.

I know the tourist numbers have increased but I'd still be confident of walking along the front of either Mirissa,, Unawatuna or Hikkaduwa and finding rooms.

Rod.

london
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

It seems strange saying Unawatuna is touristy!!! I havent been for around 20 years but all there was there was 1 small hotel, I think it was called the UBR (unawatuna beach resort) and a few small guest houses!!!

I cant even remember Mirissa but I stayed in large-ish hotel in Tangalle bay it was built to look like a ship and had a lovely beach but wow the current was strong...is it still around?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Hi jc1978

The hotel you are thinking of is this one

http://www.tangallabayhotel.com/home.html

but the reviews these days are not great!

Sue

london
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Thanks Sue.......OMG They havent changed anything since I was there 20 years ago!!

Is the UBR hotel still in Unawauna?

That was the only hotel when I last went there.

Jc.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unawatuna or Mirissa?

Yes, UBR is still there.

Hans

Get answers to your questions about Galle