We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

london
6 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching

Can anyone confirm whether the Jetwing Lighthouse Galle can arrange a whale watching trip or can anyone recommend a good operator. Going December 11.

Madu Happy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Summer Dew Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips
F.air
Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Air Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,547 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

Yes for sure they can, including transfer to either Mirissa (most operators) or Galle for the navy boat.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

london
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

Thanks guys much appreciated

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

We returned from Jetwing Lighthouse,Galle, Sri Lanka last week. Best holiday ever!

We went whale watching through the hotel with their resident naturalist.

There is a 45 minute minibus trip to Mirissa leaving at 6am then you get the boat. The hotel will arrange breakfast boxes.

I wasnt keen but my husband wanted to go. In the end I really enjoyed it and we got to see 10+ blue whales and spinner dolphins. Altogether a very enjoyable trip.

Primepork

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

We're going in April. Is mid April a good time for whale watching?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,547 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

It's towards the end of the season. The boats will probably run but less guarantee for sightings. Call a few times before and inquire about counts of what they saw, if the trend is closing to zero then doubt about spending your money...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

I thought it wasnt really the right time. I think we'll do it next time we go.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching

Hi,

Yes Erik is right.. Its the end of whale watching season in Mirissa. Specially after the sinhala-hindu new year (13th and 14th of april) the sea condition is also not good for whale watching.

Light house resident naturalist Anoma is the most experienced naturalist for whale watching in Sri Lanka.

Nishantha

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching

You can also have a look at the MTR I did few weeks back:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k425…

Also, I would advise NOT to use the Sri Lanka Navy boat (operating from Galle harbour) as this is a massive 300 seater and seems to scare off whales. It was reported that for a day two after a trip by this boat, the whales either not seen or had gone further away. the engine noise aparently is far too much.

9. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 13:37
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale watching

We are going to Bentota in December and wated to know if one could go Whale watching from Bentota itself? and are there any good tour operators one can recommend.

Get answers to your questions about Galle