We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi: Airport to Galle

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi: Airport to Galle

We arrive at 16:30 into Bandaranaike (CMB) and want to catch a taxi straight to Galle (staying in the fort).

From what I read, the drive is about 4 hours.

Hotel have quoted USD $90 for collection.

Is this significantly MORE expensive than booking at the airport?

If there is little price difference then i'd rather just get collected by the hotel.

I assume arranging a taxi from the airport on arrival will not be a problem.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

Hi,

A taxi from the airport should cost approx. LKR 8,500-9,000. There are 2-3 taxi counters for tourists.

With a 16:30 arrival you will likely be out from the airport around 17:15-17:30. That means it will be rush hour on the way to Colombo and through Colombo, so 4 hours to Galle seems too optimistic. It can easily take close to 5 hours.

Hans

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

not too much of a difference (they have asked around 6 or 7$ more depending on the exchange rate) besides, its much nicer to have someone waiting to pick you up :)

and yes, you can also arrange it straight from the airport when you arrive, there are a couple of taxi counters.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

Dear Hans and SwC.

Thanks for your replies. Of course much better to be collected! If the price was double the 'going rate' then I'd get a taxi on arrival. Less than $10 difference - far less hassle to be collected (and I like it when someone holds a placard with my name on it in arrivals)!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

"I like it when someone holds a placard with my name on it in arrivals"

idem :))

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

Hi any body can tell me how can i book a taxi to drop me at Kandy Topaz hotel from the Apt?

Cruze

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,710 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

Hi Cruze,

Try with Topaz hotel first. But no real need to prebook, the airport has 3-4 taxi desks with cabs on call (waiting at parking lot and upfront in 5 mins) and will bring you there for the going price.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

Hi,

Why is it expensive for a 4 hours journey than a whole day booking? I have heard it takes $60 to get a driver for whole day where as 4 hours trip from airport to Galle is almost $90.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

You should be able to find a taxi to Galle for less than $90 .. something like $80 is probably more realistic.

The reason it costs more than to hire a driver per day, is that the taxi does one way empty and you are paying for that. Drivers charge a daily amount based on the average daily mileage covered, and you are unlikely to have many 8 hour trips on your average tour!

Sue

Edited: 17 August 2011, 14:14
Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

Hi,

airport taxi's are bit expensive. try with below link.

you can get 7500/- Rs-8000/-Rs

check with

infotaxi.org/sri-lanka_taxi/colombo_taxi.htm

good luck

Nikama67

10. Re: Taxi: Airport to Galle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 16:19