We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
16 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Hi guys I need your advice.

We will be going on a family holiday in a couple of months to Unawatuna, my parents are in their seventies and they are concerned about medical care / hospital facilities available locally. Is there any private or recommended hospitals close by to Unawatuna (hopefully we wont need to use them) and what are their names?

I've read some old posts about hospitals in Galle, has there been any changes/new hospitals developed since 2009/10?

Thanks for any advice provided

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,248 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Hi Dave,

Old posts are still okay for Galle. There might have been the odd name change, there are regular takeovers, but then quality and staff remains same. Nothing in U'tuna itself expect a very basic medical post for locals and of course normal (decent) GP.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
16 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Thanks Erik

From what you are saying we are not to worry? (wont hold you to that)

Which hospital would you recommend if any?

Thanks again

Dave

Edited: 08 August 2012, 09:51
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,248 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Hi again,

Hemas South. They are a branch of a Colombo hospital and can arrange 'reinforcements' where needed.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Changmaisausa - I assume from your post that your parents have health issues that you know of, so I suggest that you take:

- detailed notes relating to current treatment of these issues

- recent benchmark test results etc and

- plenty of the drugs they need on a daily basis, clearly named with pharmacy details. I check that we have extra to the amount needed for the number of days away in case of delays.

We are frequent visitors to SL and my husband, also in his 70s, has multiple health issues and succumbs to colds etc easily so I always have the antibiotics that are most effective for him with me. This habit has been justified on at least three occasions. As he is uninsurable, I always check that I have sufficient funds at the ready for any emergency. I carry extra revival drugs on my person every minute.

We stay in areas away from the main towns but have been able to access medical assistance in small clinics, sometimes called "hospitals". These places have old equipment, ancient delivery systems, look scarily primitive but have delivered excellent outcomes for us. Sri Lanka exports doctors to the world however those who choose to stay are mostly very skilled.

I wish you, and especially your parents, a great trouble free holiday in Sri Lanka.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
16 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

Thanks guys appreciate all the info.

My father is on medication and has been for many years, it has not stopped them from travelling but this time I thought about the medical facilities (or lack of them) in Sri lanka just in case something went wrong.

Anway we are all looking for forward to spending some quality family time together Lanka.

Thanks again.

6. Re: Medical Care in Galle / Unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Galle