We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best airline london - sri lanka?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
173 posts
360 reviews
Save Topic
best airline london - sri lanka?

looking at booking for next year to sri lanka and wondered what the best/safest airline was - prefer direct flights and notice BA do not go there? any suggestions welcome...

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

Hi Knitter

Yes, just to confirm what Erik has told you, drinks are complimentary on board Sri Lankan Airlines flights.

As you have a late flight from Heathrow, you will be offered "refreshments" just after take off, then during the dinner service too(wines, beers, spirits and liquers too), but after that, the crew will assume that most people will want to sleep and leave you alone.

You can of course press you call button, or do what i do, and go for a walk to back of plane to get a drink or three!, better to do this as you stretch your legs at same time, and of course, have a chat with the crew too, nice people who do like a chat to wile away the boredom hours when most people are asleep.

Regards

Dave

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

I never sleep on the outward journey. too excited !!!!!!!!!!!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

Knitter

You will here!!, long tiring journey.

Dave

m&g
borders scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

Try Etihad airlines they fly to Sri Lanka with a stop over in Abu dhabi .Etihad have all new planes read the reviews everyone is giving really good fead back. Long stop over on return at Abu DHabi but hey they provide free hotel accomodation, not bad if your not in a hurry. Leg room is 34/35 inches and food yummie. WE are flying with them christmas from manchester will put a report on the flight and hotel ( Amaya Reef) afer our return getting really excited now first time in Sri Lanka. m&g

Mentioned in this post
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

Sri Lankan are STILL the best choice from UK right now, and..... only £199 return NON STOP from London Heathrow, but be quick in booking!!!

Regards

Dave

kidderminster
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

hi we are flying with qatar airways with very short stopover in doha - about an hour or so next april.

i have never flown with them before and was wondering what everyone else thought?also are soft drinks free on qatar flights?im travelling with 3 small children and i have visions of breaking the bank before i even get to sri lanka!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,259 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

Hi there,

Personally I like Qatar (and Emirates) a lot more than Srilankan. Yes you do have a stopover (is quite efficient, btw) and yes the planes from Gulf to Colombo are sometimes a bit crowded and older, but the London-Gulf flight scores at least 9 marks while Srilankan only deserves 7 or so IMHO. Almost brand-new planes, with 50 TV channels/films and 100+ radio/CD flavours on demand. Free drinks throughout the flight. Good leg space (esp. Emirates).

So do enjoy the flight!

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: best airline london - sri lanka?

Hi,

I'm with Eric on this one.

I found Qatar planes were much newer, cleaner looking, better service and better food.

The only way in which Sri Lankan air came out on top, in my opinion, was the direct flight. Having said that, I don't mind the Doha stop over too much and it makes the time of arrival in Colombo spot on .

Rod.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Get answers to your questions about Galle