We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Galle

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Galle

Hello, Could you please advise the approx driving time from the airport to Galle, we will land approx 13:30. Could you also advise if we took the train where would we get off because I could not see Galle as one of the train stops. Finally if we stayed 2 nights at Galle what would you suggest we visit. We visited Galle last year for approx 4 hours so we only walked a small portion of the wall. Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,495 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Galle

Hi Kelly,

Strange you can't see Galle on the train map. It definitely has a main station, on the Colombo to Matara line!

Travel time from airport to Galle would be:

* About 4 hours by car

* At LEAST 5 hours by train, depending a bit on the transfer time at Colombo Fort and the wait at airport.

For train, first you need taxi for 2 km to the railway station (Katunayake junction) closest to airport. The airport DOES have its own station but that is almost out of use, and on a dead end of the same line. From junction, local train to Colombo is about 90 mins and from Colombo to Galle it is 3 hours. But then, the Galle express trains go only 6-8 times per day and the Airport-Colombo one every 90 minutes so you might have to wait a while at both stations.

Things to see in and around Galle, wow, not easy...

In the old town there is a small museum in the portside of the walls, and of course there are nice buildings like the Dutch reformed church. Around Galle there is much more to do: small nature reserve, one of the world's best beaches at Unawatuna, sea turtle hatcheries, Hikkaduwa corals, Hikkaduwa moonstone mine, etc. etc...

Hope this helps and have a nice journey,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Galle

Thanks Erik, I looked again and I see there is a train stop at Galle.

Could you please advise about Unawatuna, we were going to stay there last year but our driver said do not because of aid workers Etc taking over everything ( unfair comment I thought) and it was not worth staying.

How far is it to Galle.

Where would you reccomend to stay near or n the beach.

Is the sea safe to swim and snorkel in.

Once again thanks for you help

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Galle

Hi,

Unawatuna has a wonderful beach and is quite famous among the tourist to the country. Its about 30 min drive from Galle and the area is quite clean and free after the Tsunami and not many aid workers around now...

Hope this helps and I m sure Erik will give you more info on this..

Regards.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,495 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Galle

Hi again,

Small correction to Treshi: Unawatuna (bus stop at main road) is about 15 minutes from Galle Fort, both by tuktuk or bus. Have done it many many times..

The only star-hotel at Unawatuna is U'tuna Beach Resort. However there are many other guesthouses, some even quite good quality upto having a pool. Better look around locally before deciding if you want to go in that direction.

You can safely swim in the U'tuna bay almost year round, as it's quite shallow and shielded by a huge coral reef from the main sea. During west monsoon (May-October) at times there might be risky currents closer to the reef but the local guards will definitely know.

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Galle

Thanks Erik and Trisha, One final question, based upon your knowledge would you stay in Galle or Untawana and visit the other. We would like to stay where we are on or near the beach for a few days R&R. Thanks again

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Galle

Apols spelling, I meant Treshi,

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,495 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Galle

Hmmm... simply put: Galle 'has' no beach! Lighthouse hotel is the only beach hotel claiming to be 'in' Galle but actually they are in a northern suburb on 10 minutes drive, almost as far as U'tuna. And that beach is not very good (though a large one is nearby) - not touristy and a bit polluted because all kinds of local houses/factories nearby. But then it is 4-star, as said above U'tuna only has a 2-star hotel.

U'tuna, in contrast, is known to be one of the best beaches of the country!

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Get answers to your questions about Galle