We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Hi,

I am planning to vist galle for six days in november with family (3 person)but i am not clear on how to plan itinerary for six days and which places to explore in galle or near to galle ? Apart from that i would also like to know if i can add some more place/city near by galle as i have six days in hand. I am also curious to know whether the "galle" is the best place in Sril Lanka or any other place is better than galle ? Pranav@Mumbai

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,824 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Hi there,

Galle is an old fortified town and has no beach of its own; nearby good beaches are e.g. Unuwatuna or Hikkaduwa. But it's all up to you what you prefer. Possible day trips from that area are listed here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

and some of them might also qualify to spread your time between them and Galle, e.g. Yala/Kataragama. Don't expect impressive weather though, November is generally the intermonsoon season with unsettled weather islandwide.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

I will be in Sri Lanka this August and was wondering whether shopping is any good in Galle? I know that Colombo is far better for shopping but i dont really fancy the 2-3 hour drive there and back. I am staying in Aluthgama and thought an afternoon wandering aroung Galle shops would be good. I am not looking for clothes .. just maybe cheap jewelry, cushion covers and throws etc.

Galle, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Plenty to see and do.

The beaches have reefs but might not be great swimming so will need to find a good pool spot. Places like the fortress let you eat and use the pool if you ask nicely.

I would spend a day at the beach - Unawatuna or hikkaduwa.

I encourage people to spend some time around the lake - there are lowland white tea plantations which make a good 2 hour tour, and fisherman go out on the lake to get jumbo prawns for you which you can get someone to cook up.

The fort itself is nice to see early morning or at sunset.

You can also do a couple of day trips to either Yala although it involves 7 hours driving at least round trip and a 3 am start.

I love popping down to bentota from Galle and going to geoffrey bawas laguguana for afternoon tea.

There are also cooking classes in the fort and other experiences such as a hot balloon ride over the fort so plenty to see and do.

Have fun!

Brent

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,824 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Galle has some shopping yes. The more touristy/cultural stuff mainly in the Fort, at tourist prices of course ;-) All the rest is in the normal shopping area which is at Sea Street, parallel to Matara Road starting just south of the bus stand (opposite the eastern Fort entrance).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

5. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 14:29
Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

You could also visit some low country (not that hilly) tea plantations in Morawaka and Diniyaya area. You should be able to travel in about one an a half hours in a vehicle from Galle to visit tea plantations in these area.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,824 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Yes they're listed in the item referred under #1, with some detailed area descriptions too. Lowcountry tea is awful for Indians and Westerners (and Lankans) to drink but apparently very popular as base for Middle-Eastern strong (minted) tea. And the plantations and factories have the same process as the upcountry one so enough tourist value...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Hello @TemplebergVilla

You are shure that hot air ballon going via the Galle Fort? I don't belive.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,824 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

Well the starting point might be Thalpe or Mirissa, but with favourable wind (and in season, November-April) for sure the balloons can go above Galle Fort! Search Lanka ballooning and you'll find enough websites with photos proving that...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: six days visit to galle - Sri Lanka

I did in March hot air balloning with AirMagic.

They pickup in Galle Stadium, but start in Elpityia at sunrise. Look may video.

www.youtube.com/watch…

But indeed, I forgot to ask if they fly also over Galle Fort.

Get answers to your questions about Galle