We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Hi, everyone. Can anyone tell me how long it will take in a taxi from Galle Fort to the airport, travelling during a weekday?

I realize this question has likely been asked many times, but from a quick search there seem to be conflicting answers. Also, I understand there is an Expressway between Galle and Colombo, and I don't know if that has changed anything.

If someone could provide some guidance, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Via Southern Expressway the drive will take approx. 2.5-3 hours. When Colombo-Katunayake Expressway opens (this month?) that should be reduced by 20 mins.

Hans

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,830 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

The Southern Expressway only opened in Nov 2011, hence the huge disparities in travelling time you have no doubt seen on the forum, before & after this date

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Thanks! That helps a lot. Yes, I've seen estimates ranging from 2 and a quarter hours to 6 hours. We're trying to figure out if it's feasible going directly to the airport from Galle or whether we'd need to stay somewhere closer to the airport. If it's a 3 hour trip, we can do it. 6 hours, and I'd be a bit nervous.

Thanks again!

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

I did this journey in reverse three weeks ago. Three to three and a half hours is ok using a professional driver. The expressway does cut the journey down.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

We went from Tangalle to the airport on our last morning. The expressway is very quiet and only takes an hour or so from Galle to the top of it. Bit tougher from there but, as David says, a total of 3-3.5 hours is about right.

Mirigaman
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Galle to Colombo by southern highway 1hr, from the exit point to APT another 1.5hrs.

Wetherby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Hi Did you get a random taxi at Colombo airport or book something in advance to Galle?

We hope to go in February 2014.

Wetherby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Also how long does it take from Galle to Bentota as we aim to have our second week in a hotel there??

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,444 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

Hi there,

No gain using Expressway here. Simply 90 minutes using the coastal road.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

10. Re: Galle to Colombo Airport --- travel time? I'm confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Galle