We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building Your Own Excurtions.

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Building Your Own Excurtions.

Hi,

I will be visiting Sri Lanka early 2007.Which is the best way to arrange a secure,insured itinery of my own.

eg. I want to visit all of the main central attractions but would like to include one night at least in the Kandalama Hotel and i would also like to arrange birdwatching days to Sinharaja with a local bird guide and a two day trip to Yala.

I guess the holiday reps offer very rigid itineries at higher prices but i also have a young family and want to go with an official,well organised company that is insured and will be responsible for our welfare.

Many thanks in advance Richard.

ps We will be staying at Kalutara.

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Building Your Own Excurtions.

HI. If you are visiting Galle area you should experience staying in the historic Galle Fort to get a sense of how the Dutch, Portuguese and English lived within fortification in the early days. Nowadays, the fort is teeming with local residents, a court,, fish market outside its walls, smart hotels, restaurants and shops. Then head for the beach outside of Gale to Thalpe for instance which is more exclusive than Unawatuna. You should check out the combination package offered by the Fort Printers and Apa Villa by the beach or similar ones available.

A friend has come back satisfied with this arrangement because she had a free night's choice to stay extra day on beach or fort.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Building Your Own Excurtions.

Hi

Well, you'll love Yala with wildlife literally on your doorstep (say hello to the wild pigs by the rubbish tip for me!) and the local excursions are great. We were privileged to see a sloth bear, a very entertaining croc, a leopard and loads of elephants & birds on one trip

This is probably too late to influence your itinery, but if you like birds and nature in general you must visit Habarana- a wonderful place to watch wildlife in the grounds of the hotel beside a serene lake. Just imagine three species of kingfishers diving in and out of the water, watched by hornbills and large grey squirrels in the trees above and land monitors on the ground...all completely oblivious to humans. Lots of nature reserves for elephant watching etc, great cheap local eating places, plus a relaxing sauna / massage nearby.

Enjoy Sri lanka, it's a wonderful country, but don't drive...they're crazy!!

B

13. Re: Building Your Own Excurtions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 17:24
Get answers to your questions about Galle