We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red dot tours

Nottingham,UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
red dot tours

I have found what appears to be my perfect Sri Lankan tour (both itinery and hotels) with Red Dot Tours. I have been reading the mixed reviews of this company and would like to hear any additional comments. This will be our first time in Asia and we want to pre-book everything via a reliabe company to boost our confidence!

Thanks, Jill

1. Re: red dot tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 17:07
2. Re: red dot tours

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: red dot tours

Hi Jill

I very recently had a quote for a months stay in Sri Lanka from Red Dot Tours, they were very proffessional in my opinion, but i could only deal with them via e-mail, but very good all the same.

They do have an office here in UK (Leeds), but i could not get thru on phone when i tried.

Price wise?, excellent when comparing to many UK companies.

You can of course book with them once you arrive in Sri Lanka, and it could be that you then get a better deal too.

Eventually, i have booked with Kuoni again, i suppose in my case it was better the devil you know, rather than one you don't!!

I must add though, that when i contacted Kuoni, and told them i had already got a quote from Red Dot, they promptly lowered their price to within 20 pounds, plus free insurance too, so maybe worth a try.

As Stacey rightly says, Kuoni are great for long haul, and really do look after you, i have used them 12 times now for Sri Lanka, and really they are the market leaders here.

Kuoni, only use top hotels in Sri Lanka too, like Red Dot.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave

Nottingham,UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red dot tours

Thanks for your advice. I have also considered Kuoni and Trailfinders. Another company I have asked for a quote, but have no knowledge of, is Audley Travel. Anyone ever used them?

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red dot tours

Hi,

I contacted numerous companies for quotes on our holiday to Sri Lanka (tour plus beach stay) many that i'd never heard of before (Audley, Mercury, Archers Direct, Key2Holidays, Trailfinders, Kuoni, Destination Sri Lanka...)

The cost was vastly different, ranging from £3600 to £2190 for 2 weeks. In the end it came down to price for us and we booked with Cosmos. The tour isn't exactly the same as we orginally wanted (different hotels and no Yala Safari) but the hotels look great and get good reviwes on TA.

Going in February 2007 and really looking forward to it :o) Hope you find something soon!

Barbie

Nottingham
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: red dot tours

Hi Keilder,

I'm in the process of booking at the moment and just had a load of quotes back.

We have quotes from trailfinders, kuoni and audley from the UK and Ace travel, lionRoyal and and jetwing.

We had no response from hemtours (re-emailed them today because ErikDR says they are good) or MercuryDirect.

Apart from 1 really odd exception with Jetwing Eco(which may be a mistake) all the UK operators were more than the Sri Lanka ones (as expected).

One piece of advice is look to see who owns the hotels your going to stay in and get quotes from them, that has shown to be the cheapest option for us.

I think we are going to book the hotels and driver etc.. with Ace Tours in Lanka and then the flights via a standard place over here.

Audley offer boutique type accomodation in small jaunty hotels only, not the larger places (depending on what you want). But they were good, they calle dme to discuss it.

Simon

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red dot tours

Simon

You may well have got good quotes on hotels because Ace Travels are actually owned by Aitkenspence, one of Sri Lanka's biggest hotel chains.

Dave

Nairobi
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: red dot tours

We've just booked a holiday at end of August through a great company called Boutiquesrilanka.com - helpful, friendly and suprisingly inexpensive. Hope holiday lives up to our expectations!!

9. Re: red dot tours

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: red dot tours

We have organised a three week tour of Sri Lanka in November and have also used Boutiquesrilanka.com who have a great web site and have been very well organised and proffesional. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say and i am a bit nervous about not having the support of the bigger companies such as Kuoni but i wanted an holiday with a difference so have taken the risk and as i said so far boutiquesrilanka have been great

Get answers to your questions about Galle