We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galle, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Hello,

My parents are traveling to SL for 6 days and internationally for the first time ever. Wanted to get some advice on the itinerary I have created and see if it makes sense. They are both healthy but mom can have migraine problem so have to be careful about too much travel for her.

They arrive mid July.

Day 1: Sigiriya

Day 2: Kandy

Day 3: Nuwara Ileya

Day 4: Depending on rain, we were thinking afternoon safari in Yala and then travel to Galle

Day 5: Galle (we are locals here)

Day 6: Bentota (or Unawatuna/Hikkadua can suffice instead of doing the trip to Bentota?)

My parents are spiritual and will enjoy sights like Relic of the tooth in Kandy, stupas, tea gardens, and some peace and quiet.

Does this plan make sense or it involves too much travel for slightly older folks? Also, is World's End in Horton Plains a must do this time of the year? Should we cut the night in Sigiriya to include World's End in the trip?

Many many thanks for any destination experts' opinions on this plan! Just want them to have a really good trip.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Nuwara Eliya -Yala - Galle will be a very long day. About 9-10 hours drive plus the safari.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Yes in Yala safari finishes 6 PM. You'd be in Galle 10 PM without having had time for dinner!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Galle, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Ah great advice. I can switch the Galle and Yala days. Come back to Galle on day 4 and just do local stuff and if they are up for it, do a day trip to Yala on Day 5. Is this too hectic? Would it make sense to drop Yala and just relax in Galle and Bentota?

Also, is Hikkduwa a good closer option compared to Bentota? Or Bentota worth visiting?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

A day trip to Yala from Galle is not feasible. Safaris are 6-9 am and 3-6 pm and the drive approx. 4 hours each way.

Hans

Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

May be your parents could stay in Ohiya than Nuwara Eliya. Ohiya is much closer to Horton Plains and is quite place with nice views.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g2562188-Ohiya_Uva_P…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Hi

IMO, Your travel plan is quiet packed for elderly parents. I would suggest below by skipping Yala

1. Sigiriya, Dambulla

2. Kandy

3. Nuwara Eliya

4. Galle

5. Benthota

6. Airport

Galle, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

Thank you! Yes, we dropped Yala from this trip, maybe next time. Don't think a 12 hour travel and safari day would be very restful for 60 plus parents.

8. Re: Planning first international trip for my parents to SL..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Galle