We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut/Nut allergy - how to handle in Galle

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Peanut/Nut allergy - how to handle in Galle

My son has a severe peanut/nut/sesame allergy. Looking at spending next Christmas at Galle Fort Area. Has anyone with nut allergy travelled before to this area. Just wondering if local restaurants etc will have any idea of what I am talking about when I ask about ingredients etc. Also does anyone know what medical care is available and how close by? Also ambulances? We have lived in SE Asia and I realise alot of these things may be hit and miss especially ambulances etc. Just trying to get they ley of the land before we commit to the holiday.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,184 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peanut/Nut allergy - how to handle in Galle

Hi Mattie,

a) Galle has one of the best hospital infrastructures of the country. All essential post-tsunami repair work has been done.

The 'government' hospital is at the Karapitiya suburb, and is also a teaching hospital for the university. Next to this there are a few branches of private hospitals like Nawaloka; quality is better but they are really only first-line branches with not much residential options.

Ambulances are available, yes. From Fort area to the hospital area (Karapitiya) is about 3 miles.

b) For any allergies/diets, handling is not much different countrywide:

1) Have detailed lists of allowed/forbidden ingredients.

2) Make a few photocopies and have them laminated (for tropical climate and moreover kitchen hands...)

3) With your order to the waiter, give them one of these copies and make sure that the cooks have it available.

4) If there is still distrust, take a sample of the ordered dishes and ask the waiter (and cook) to give an exhaustive list of ingredients gone into this specific dish...

Have heard enough stories of diet-people happily holidaying in Lanka, so no reason to worry too much as long as you stick to these precautions.

Enjoy,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peanut/Nut allergy - how to handle in Galle

hi Mattie

maybe this could be useful;

according to my phrasebook, the translation of I'm allergic to peanuts is "MAHTAH RAHTAHKAHJU AHPAHTHYAYI"

regards

Steve

3. Re: Peanut/Nut allergy - how to handle in Galle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Galle