We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galle in August/September

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Galle in August/September

My fiancee and I are planning on taking our honeymoon from the end of August to mid September. We are thinking of going to the Maldives for a few days then to Sri Lanka to the southwest coast area of Galle and Unawatuna or Bentota (and maybe Kandy, maybe Colombo). Has anyone travelled there at that time? I know it is monsoon season, is the weather unbearable or just unpredictable?

Also, do you have recommendations for other parts of Sri Lanka to visit?

Thanks,

--Tom

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galle in August/September

Tom

Weather in areas you have mentioned in Sri Lanka "should" be ok, with outside chance of heavy tropical downpours late afternoon or early evening.

Maldives however, different story, this is perhaps the most likely time of year to have unsettled weather, well from July thru to September.

Regards

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,135 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galle in August/September

Hi Tom,

Agree with Dave on weather - september is probably worse than august though last year it was just fine.

The beach areas in Lanka are not extremely much different from Maldives, though of course there is far more wildlife and culture 'just behind the beach'. A thing not to miss if you want to see the REAL Lanka is Kandy and Hill Country, and for fans of history also Cultural Triangle. Colombo is indeed just for transfers and shopping, nothing to see there.

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Galle, Sri Lanka
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galle in August/September

Hi Travelbug,

Won't repeat much of the other posts. Weather and seasons in Sri Lanka have become somewhat unpredictable in the last few years, but never to a point of being unbearable.

If you make it "upcountry", the hill-country, be sure not to miss Haputale, a lovely spot on the way to Ella, with absolute stunning scenery and still somewhat unspoilt.

Enjoy planning and have a lovely trip.

AsiaSnoopy

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Galle in August/September

Hi Tom

I've been in Galle the last 6 months and in 2006 that time of year was fine. Usually rain for a couple of hours in the afternoon but nothing unbearable.

Of course there's no guarantee it will be the same this year.

I'm based in Galle for the time being so if there's anything I can do to assist let me know.

Hindo

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galle in August/September

Thanks for all of your posts everyone.

I would actually like to know if anyone has recommendations for places to stay that are great for the beach during that time. It seems to me that a lot of places close during the off season.

We would like privacy, but we don't want to be in a ghost town. We are really looking for a higher end place for the first few nights to decompress, before we really start exploring Sri Lanka.

One place that looked good was Aditya resort. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again everyone,

--Tom

U.K
Level Contributor
148 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galle in August/September

Hi Tom

The only place I can recommend is the Lighthouse at Galle though a work colleague recommends the saman Villas. The lighthouse has a small beach though usually its difficult to swim in the sea. As for privacy it only has 60 rooms so you never seem to bump into anyone. My wife and I spent a fantastic week there for our honeymoon.

For me the combenation of a top end hotel and somewhere interesting to explore, Galle fort are perfect. Though the journey from the airport seems to take forever. Consider Sri Lankan airtaxi from CMB to Kogalla.

Regards Jay

Polhena
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galle in August/September

Hi Tom

For real privack, check out beaches a bit further down the coast...Mirissa, Polhena. Boith beautiful untouristy spots. Place to, stay...look at www.srilankabeachguesthouse.com...right on the beach, absolute quiet and privacy. No beach touts, no loud music just a beautiful bay with great sunsets.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galle in August/September

Hi,

As Erik & Dave said climate in the coastal areas are not so predictable. But if you are interested in wildlife i would suggest you to take a tour towards minneriya & kaudulla. Also you could visit the cultural triangle. Enough of lovely hotels around. Need further details contact me.

Nishantha

9. Re: Galle in August/September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 11:20
Get answers to your questions about Galle