We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

hmf
uk
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

We are considering staying at Browns Beach but have become hesitant because of certain things we've read.

Could anyone tell us please if the beach there IS ok for swimming both from a cleanliness and safety point of view?

Secondly are there enough reasonable restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel if we didn't wish to eat at the hotel without having to go into Negombo?

Thanks for any information.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

HI,

I can't tell you anything about the hotel but can about the sea and other restaurants.

The sea is not good for swimming although some do and I have myself.. I've been at more or less all times of the year and I've never seen the sea there looking blue. It's usually various shades of brown.

The beach is fine. Not like the clean , sandy beaches down south but a wide expance of sand, Ok for walking on and lots of local life there to meet.

If you fancy getting into a ame of football, cricket or volleyball with the local lads , then this beach is fine.

There;s plenty of small , excellent restaurants around the area.

Out of the hotel , turn right you walk into Lewis Place and turn left you walk into Poruthota road, both have lots of small shops, restaurants, bars etc,.

In my experience, the best of these is

The Palm Lanka Restaurant,

39 Poruthota Road,

Ethukala,

Negombo. Tel; 31-4876177

Go there and meet Joseph, the owner. he's a wonderful character and strives all the time to make sure the service and food is the very best.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

Hi Rod

You have been busy today!, i thought i read somewhere that you are off to Cuba soon, so maybe a good time to wish you a pleasant trip.

Cuba in many respects is like SL, so i would have thought that you would like it there, so have a good un ok.

Regards

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

Hi Dave,

Yes you're right.

The trip was actually planned for about now and was suposed to be,

Fly to Phnom Pen, tour Cambodia overland, then overland to Thailand, Malaysia and , of course, from there flying to Sri Lanka for 4 weeks before returning home/

However, due to events beyond my control ,, as in,, my wife changed her mind,, we're now going to Cuba for about 3 weeks.

At least I did manage to get a promise from here that the Asian trip is only postponed til later this year. Not cancelled.

Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy Cuba although I'll miss meeting up with a lot of old friends in Lanka.

Oh well, just as I was getting back up to speed with my few Sinhala phrases I've got to start again with Spanish. Should be fluent by the time we get off the plane.( joke).

Happy days,

Rod.

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

The sea was fine for playing in the surf but quite strong and rough when we were there in Feb so the water is not the clear blue like it is further south. It is not dirty unhygeinic but the sand is stirred up by the waves

We went to Gino's opposite Brown's Beach which was good and one of many places to eat but we were only in Negombo for 2 nights before we went to Kandy

If you are thinking of spending time elsewhere we stayed at a great hotel near Kandy convenient for elephants and day trip into kandy 2½ hours from Negombo

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g2422949-d51…

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

Hi,

Browns beach is a good hotel in Negombo.It is managing by Aitken Spence group.Enough of restaurants around Negombo. Negombo beach is much corwded than the beach beaches you get in the southern coast.

Nishantha

6. Re: Browns Beach Hotel and Negombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 19:18