We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about reviews

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about reviews

Hi

We are going to Sri lanks next Feb and are on a limited budget, but some of the reviews have totally confussed us. One review will say Brill followed by another one that says Yuk, normally I can read betwen the lines but the difference here is so vast. We have booked a 3 day tour but want 6 days at the begining and end of it. We are looking at the Mermaid or Club Palm gardens followed by Browns Beach or Club Dolphin. We are in our late 40's, and as long as its clean and the food good it will not be a problem, im not expecting to pay for 3 star to get 5. Also not bothered about reading about touts etc on the beach as thats about country not a review of the hotel. Can anyone give us some honest advise. Have also put this on the negombo Forum.

Leicester
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about reviews

Hi have just read your message, I can only speak for myself and family,we are off to Browns Beach on the 14 July this will be our 15th stay at this hotel,this should speak for its self really, but i would just like to add that Browns is a good hotel, we have always had a wonderful welcome from all of the staff, the food is really good, the rooms are good especially the beach chalets,although we always go for a standard room on the 4th floor,you are not bothered by the mozzies so much.Its not far from the airport 30mins,and if you are not all inclusive then there are alot of restaurants nearby to the hotel.I find the staff all of them very obliging and to be honest when i read some peoples feedback i honestly think they must be talking about another hotel, or they go on holiday just to find fault.I can assure you that if this hotel was as bad as some people try to make out I would deffinitely not be returning year after year after year.Wherever you decide to stay you will have a lovely holiday of that i'm sure as Sri Lanka is a wonderful country as are its people.

norfolk
Level Contributor
826 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about reviews

My husband and I are in our 50's, we stayed at Browns beach last year and upgraded to a beach room because of the reviews we had read.

We had a great time, no complaints at all about the food, the service, the room or the staff, we were on a bed and breakfast basis but tended to eat at the hotel because I was wary about the hygiene standards at some of the restaurants, but always felt happy with the standard at Browns Beach.

I agree that it can be confusing with the conflicting reports that you read but obviously people have different standards so you will get varied opinions.

We are fairly easy to please but at the same time will complain if we feel the need, so all I can honestly say is we would not have any qualms about recommending Browns Beach, but with the proviso that you upgrade to a beach room.

Regards

Jean.

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about reviews

Thanks for your replies and putting my mind at rest, I was being pulled towards Browns Beach due to its location compared to Club Dolphin. Will go ahead now and book.

4. Re: Confused about reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:18