We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negombo beaches and water

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Negombo beaches and water

Hi,I am doing a two week tour of Sri Lanka and want to extend it by a few days to spend some time chilling on the beach at Negombo. I'm thinking of staying at Browns beach hotel. Looking at photos in the web, the beach looks nice but the water/sea looks a bit grey and dirty. I went to Thailand last year and the water was lovely, b lue and clear. Is it comparable in Negombo? What is the water like?

Thx.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Hi there,

Unfortunately, just as on the photo. The Thailand-like beaches start south of Colombo, basically at Wadduwa/Kalutara - with Mt. Lavinia (a Colombo suburb) being something in between Negombo and the south.

Note that full sea swimming is only possible in the southwest from mid Dec to March, outside of that too strong undercurrents (bathing still fine). A few exceptions with coral reef exist, starting at Hikkaduwa.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Hi there..

Depends on what time of year you are going to be in Negombo, from now till mid December it is unlikely that the water will be a nice blue colour, this is due to the prevailing sea and wind conditions at this time, monsoon/intermonsoon times !

This would apply all along the west coast at this time, better of course in the mid December thru till end April time.

Regards

Dave

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Negombo is great as a place to recover from the flight and spend a day or two perhaps ... but when it comes to the beach and water ... oh dear. Sorry .. it is about as different to the beaches in Thailand as you are likely to get. Ok to walk along and watch the local fishermen perhaps, but the water is grey, the beach often shelves steeply and the sand is black with dirt in places.

For the best beaches and sand, the south coast is best, but if you want to stick to the west coast, look to Bentota or Beruwela for a decent beach .. not Negombo.

Sue

UK
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Thanks for the info everyone. I think it might be worth travelling further south then to get the better beaches and maybe spending the last night at negombo before flying home.

Thanks again everyone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negombo beaches and water

trueblueUK:

Yes, it's definitely worth that little bit extra travelling time to get out of Negombo. You'll be rewarded with much better beaches the further South you go.

We loved Mirissa but as the DEs have said it's only safe to swim in the sea in the south for a few months each year.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Hi Faceman,

I've regularly said on here,

At Mirissa,, if you walk to the eastern end of the beach, there's an island, named Parrot Rock.

That is almost joined to the beach by a strip of rock a couple of feet high with just a small gap in it halfway between the beach and the rock.

Just past that strip there's a small seperate section of beach.

Right outside the garden of the Girigala Beach Hotel/ guesthouse.

This small seperate beach is partially protected by rocks and I've swum in there regularly during most times of the year..

Even when the sea is pounding onto the main beach I've found this small beach to be fine for swimming with gentle waves just lapping onto the sand.

It's only a small beach but does allow swimming safely when the main beach is too rough.

Rod.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Rod,

There's also a bay in Tangalle where it's pretty calm at most times of the year too. I can't remember for the life of me what it's called, but I think Sue is going to Tangalle so she'll be able to find it. Leslie or Dillum at Coconut Beach Cabanas will take you there.

We snorkeled there and there was a fair amount of coral and fish.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Hi,

I'll see what Sue comes up with.

I've stopped off at lots of little beaches along there, looking for sheltered water and snorkelling spots but not found any where the shelter was reliable. More depended on the wind and sea direction.

I do always spend some time between Tangalle and Dikwella, a little guest house on Kudawella beach.

Over the years I've sort of got involved with a few kids in that area since way before the tsunami and now, those I knew as not much more than toddlers are growing up with the first one just qualified for Uni, this year.

So I always make time for that area. Just an excuse really as I love it along there.

We'll see what Sue comes up with regarding the snorkelling.

Rod.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negombo beaches and water

Hi Rod and Faceman

It will be my pleasure to do a bit of research on this one.

I get the nicest jobs ....!

Sue

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negombo beaches and water

i think its fair to say that [and i have been to both many times]the best beaches of sri lanka dont quite compare with the best of thailand .the sri lankan sea is rougher for a start ,though i actually prefer to be on narigama ,hikkaduwa beach than any thai beach .its wide and very nice and i like to body surf close too shore. the inland of sri lanka beats thailand in my book..

Get answers to your questions about Negombo