We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warwickshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

Thought references to concrete beds in reviews just meant they were hard, till I saw Glen's photos! Does anyone know if ALL the beds there are concrete platforms, or are there "normal" beds too?

Have booked a week at Seashells for Feb 09, so there's still time to change to another hotel - would Brown's Beach be better?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

What's the problem with concrete beds?

They have mattresses on top!

I think our rooms at Seashells had concrete beds - didn't find it a problem.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

Sri Lanka seems to be big on concrete beds right now. As the previous poster suggested, not a problem really - unless you get up in the night and hit your leg on the corner of it, as I did!

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

I stayed at the Seashells recently with a small tour group of 11.

the decor was lovely. my room was done up in modern-minimalist style with a concrete bed base that had a nice big comfy mattress on top. the hotel is right on the beach and has a fantastic sea view so that's a real plus.

i liked everything about the hotel except for 1 thing: there was no TV.

it's not just my room but the other 5 rooms occupied by members of our tour didn't have a TV either, so I would check out if this is a common thing for the hotel if you're thinking of staying there.

Edited: 25 November 2009, 01:30
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

The Concrete Beds are not a problem - at least you do not get dust gathering under the beds like in some hotels. I think the concrete beds are only on the ground floor. On the first floor they are of the more conventional type.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

Thanks to everybody who posted a reply about this. I'm afraid we chickened out, and changed our reservation from Seashells to Brown's Beach. This was partly because of the concrete beds (though since my August posting we stayed at Marhaba Beach, Sousse, Tunisia where I think our matresses were on a concrete base, covered in carpet, & that was OK). It was mainly because of Seashells being a 3rd world 2-star, & we weren't sure how basic that would be! When we're in Negombo we'll go & have a look at Seashells, & will probably kick ourselves for not staying there.

6. Re: Concrete beds at Seashells Negombo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2010, 06:17