We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy ?

Sutterton,Boston,Eng...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What to buy ?

Arrivng in Negombo 5Sept2009 would be interested to know what we can buy as souvenirs? Is it possible to purchase reasonably priced clothing? Also heard there is a factory outlet not too far away .

Marawila
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy ?

HI,

Yes , Clithing is cheap in Sri Lanka, there are many shops in Negombo Main street, in colombo House of fashion where you can buy a very reasonaby price which is about one hour drive from Negombo

Ron

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy ?

if you are coming to Sri Lanka you should buy some tea. if you are going to colombo, try Mlesna or Lanka tea board. there u can find pure sri lankan tea many varieties. Prices are also not bad.

But, do not wait to buy it (tea) from mlesna outlet at airport dutyfree. their prices are 2-3 times higher than other outlets.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy ?

Hi,

As Ron has said, It's easy to find cheap clothing.

For souvenirs, I think the best are wood carvings. Especially a carved and brightly painted mask.

Go for quality not quantity. The proper masks are historically accurate with their origins going back a long way before Budhism and Hinduism and not just dreamed up by the carver.

Rod.

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy ?

What my female friends like and even my son does,if I bring colorful shoppingbags . It seems they are made by SriLankan ladies and they are sold by Sampath 230 Lewis Place Negombo. Never looked around if somebody else has them. Last time I paid about 800 Rs.

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to buy ?

Family Fashion outlet in Colombo is a must, clothes are soooh cheap all designer Next & marks.spencers.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to buy ?

Could you elaborate on the location of Family Fashion outlet in Colombo?

I have never heard about that shop, but sounds interesting.

Hans

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to buy ?

Family Fashion Outlet shops are just past Colombo town. If you get a tuck tuck in colombo centre they will take you there. That is what we did.

8. Re: What to buy ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 04:44
Get answers to your questions about Negombo