We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on Negombo

Wales
Level Contributor
573 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Information on Negombo

Thinking of staying at the Jetwing Beach hotel next Easter. I was wondering what the surrounding area is like? Is the beach nice?Are there restaurants and bars and are there plenty of cultural things to visit eg temples etc. Or would I be better off staying in another part of Sri Lanka? I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information on Negombo

Hi there,

The beaches at Negombo are 'acceptable' but quite a bit below the standard south of Colombo. They are generally steep, parts of them stony and parts of them sandy (but not wide), and water can be muddy. The surrounding area is one of the four main tourist zones in Lanka, so plenty of restaurants etc. nearby. Cultural things to visit: yes, but as 'limited' as all Lankan beach areas. All main sights are inland and often require an overnight trip. See the 'top questions' in the right corner of the screen about what's possible on a day trip.

So purely beachwise you'd be better of going south of Colombo. For your profile, high-end hotel and restaurants/bars nearby, Bentota seems best. But it won't help you much with the cultural excursions.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Information on Negombo

Hi,

The beach area north of Negombo is not your picture book , swaying palms and can be grubby, but it's still a beach that has it's good points.

Staying there makes it very easy to be pro-active with the locakls if you fancy playing cricket, football, volleyball, etc.

There's always something happening on the beach especially at weekends when local families come down in number to frolic in the sea.

The Negombo beach is sand.. and wide..

When I was there earlier in the year, there was a national football competition held on the beach for which a full size pitch was marked out , plus plenty of room for two big temporary stands and and thousands to stand while watching.

It's not the cleanest beach as there's a river estuary just to the north and the lagoon entrance just to the south, between them, they produce enough silt to keep the water murky, but the sea bed is still sand,.

I enjoy Negombo beach.. I have swum there but the water is murky. A good pool at the hotel is better for swimming . For walking, arranging boat trips, lazing around for a tan, joining in local activity, then the beach is fine.

The beach hotel is set on a road running paralel with the sea and sandy beach , north out of Negombo.. The road has plenty of shops, small bars, restaurants, etc ..

Negombo town centre is a short tuk tuk ride away and has plenty of shops .

Negombo itself, is in a better position than the more southerly beaches, for visiting the cultural triangle.. Some parts possible as a day trip although it's much better to have an overnight stop somewhere and make much more time for exploring. Staying in a good guest house overnight doesn't add much to a trip cost.

Rod.

Wales
Level Contributor
573 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information on Negombo

Thank you for your replies both full of good information. I have never been to Sri Lanka and want to make sure that I stay in a good place.

I am put off a little with the long journey to the Southern resorts after a flight fromt the UK. The hotel seems nice and near enough to the airport but I don't want to spoil my experience of the island just beacause of this. Any comments would be appreciated or if there are nicer hotels and areas I could think about.

Thanks

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information on Negombo

everything written above is perfectly correct i will just offer a slightly differant perspective . my wife and i booked a cheap package to negombo a few years back as the cost was similar too flight only ,we stayed a day and a half and left .personally i dont like to travel half way round the world to a country that has lovely beaches to spend my time at a beach which isnt in my view half as nice as some of the uk beaches.if iv'e travelled that far ,a few more hours down the coast enjoying the scenery en route is no problem for us though a day or so recovery time in negombo is a good idea and as mentioned before negombo is a better location for inland trips .

how about independant travel,?just get a flight only ,do a tour with a recommended company or a recommended driver and finish off on a nicer beach or 2 in the south..sure we could advise you on that ..

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Information on Negombo

Hi,

Negombo is the nearest place from the Airport and also i has a very wide beach. There are enough and more Restaurents, Pubs, Hotels, Guesthouse etc.

If you are doing tours, negombo is the best place to start you tour and also the best place to do 1 Day tours. You can go to many places from Negombo.

Shehan

6. Re: Information on Negombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 05:36
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Information on Negombo

Check flight departure times from Colombo before deciding. We made up our minds that we didn't fancy a likely 3 hour coach drive just to get to the airport before hanging around there for a couple of hours followed an 11 hour flight! Particularly as we are with Sri Lankan airlines and the direct flight time was 06:05am takeoff.

Waikkal north of Colombo for us - but then, we don't really spend time lounging on the beach so doesn't matter if it's mediocre - life's too short and so much to do and see!

We got a reasonable map from the Thomas Cook brochure and the areas go roughly like this:

Waikkal

Negombo

Colombo airport

Colombo City

Mount Lavinia,

Wadduwa

Kalutara

Beruwela

Bentota

Ahungalla

Ambalangoda

Might help you choose a hotel that's south but not TOO south maybe, though haven't been ourselves yet so I'm no expert!

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information on Negombo

If you are worried about a long road journey after your flight, you could always break your journey with a night in a place like Negombo, where there are plenty of hotels or at The Wallawwa, a lovely Sri Lankan manor house in a peaceful rural setting but only 15-20 minutes from the airport. Both of these options would not be a wasted day by any means. Alternatively, if you don't want to go too far south then somewhere like Wadduwa would be good and has nice hotels like Blue Water. The journey from the airport, which is north of Colombo, would take about two hours by car.

Wales
Level Contributor
573 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information on Negombo

Thanks everyone for your comments. They have given me a lot of things to consider before making my mind up I really appreciate the replies.

Gampaha
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Information on Negombo

Hi, I think it would be nice if you could stay around Negombo. Plenty of chalets, restaurants and hotels are there and Negombo beach is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka. You could find place to stay where couple minutes away from airport, beach and town. And also you can visit Cultural triangle, elephant orphanage, upcountry and lot of interesting places from Negombo easily. As Sri Lankens are very nice people I am sure you could be enjoyed your trip 100%. If it is not breaking rules of Tripavisor I would like to introduce nice web site www.spectacular-srilanka.com which has more details.