We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private hotels and guest houses

merseyside
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
private hotels and guest houses

does anyone have any address for hotels and guest houses in negombo in walking distance or tuc tuc away from main stretch of pubs and restaurants.Been before so was going to book own flights and get cheaper accomadation rather than going on a package as have done previously.

thanks trace

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: private hotels and guest houses

Hi Trace

The two I've used in the past year have been the Oasis Beach Resort

go-lanka.com/Negombo/oasis_hotel/oasis_beach…

which was a real bargain a year ago as you could get a room there for around Rs2000-Rs2500 with a sea view and the place also has a swimming pool. If you can still get it for something around this price, then you are doing well because recent reports suggest it has raised its prices to silly amounts in the last few months and it is now overpriced for what it offers. Worth a try though.

The one I favour is Ocean View Guesthouse. It's a more modest guesthouse without a pool or sea views (although the sea is a couple of minutes walk away) but is right in the heart of the area you want, and it has good rooms in several price ranges. We went for the cheapest in February this year as it was just for a few hours sleep before a flight, but at Rs1300 it was a really good room and better than many I've stayed in at 3 times that price.

http://www.oceanview-negombo.com/

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Oasis Beach Resort
Oasis Beach Resort
60 Reviews
Negombo, Sri Lanka
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: private hotels and guest houses

Hi Trace and Sue,

I don't know the Ocean View guesthouse but agree with Sue,s naming the Oasis Beach resort.

I've been using the Oasis for several years now and stayed there inn April / May of this year for 2000 rupees for a double room, including breakfasts . I particulalry like it for the restaurant, the swimming pool and the friendly staff. As a bonua they've recently added satelite TV to every room.

The reason for the erecent rise in prices was that , during the volcanic dust cloud fiasco, many visitors came from the Beruwella / Alutgama area and lost their rooms in the Beach and Brwons beach hotels in Negombo.

They were forced to find somewhere locally while waiting for flight clearance and many " discovered " the Oasis.

While I , and other regulars were paying 2000 double room, these misplaced persons were extremely happy to pay 6000 to 7000 a night. They thought they were getting a bargain and without exception all enjoyed staying at the Oasis.

So, dust cloud panic over, bargain hard and you should get the proper price.

go-lanka.com/Negombo/oasis_hotel/oasis_beach…

One more which I'd add is one I've stayed at previously and has been extremely popular with budget travellers for many years.

http://www.silversands.go2lk.com/

Both the Oasis and the Silver Sands are amoung a choice of small bars, restaurants, shops etc. Both open out onto the beach at the rear although the stretch of beach near the oasis is a bit cleaner and better.

Rod.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean View
Ocean View
20 Reviews
Negombo, Sri Lanka
Colwyn Bay
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: private hotels and guest houses

hi, have you tried booking direct with the hotel we do, and you pay for the room not per person. if you want to know more send a email to jrb5656@gmail.com we've been to goldi sands 8 times, and always book direct

Edited: 09 July 2010, 12:46
Negombo
Level Contributor
19 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private hotels and guest houses

There are many good places to stay in Negombo some of course better than others, I stayed at Serendib Guest house just five mins walk from the main street with tuk tuk's shops etc.,

You can find them on Google.

Negombo
Level Contributor
19 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: private hotels and guest houses

There are many good places to stay in Negombo some of course better than others, I stayed at Serendib Guest house just five mins walk from the main street with tuk tuk's shops etc.,

You can find them on Google.

6. Re: private hotels and guest houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Negombo