We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
2 posts
Save Topic
The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

Hi,

Im planning a 2 week trip to stay in The Cove beach Villa in Negombo next year. Anyone know of its existence/reputation to help put my mind at rest that this will be a memorable trip.

Im guessing as its a private villa it is unlikely it will be well known but im hoping the more frequent travellers among you can give me some insight.

Many thanks

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

Hi Rich

I don't have any personal knowledge of this place, but I see it is listed by Go-Lanka.com which is a well known and reputable company, so there's no doubt about its existence and reputation on this basis. It looks very nice I must say.

However, I certainly would not be looking to spend that amount of money in and around Negombo for such a long holiday. Negombo's beach is not the best, nor does it even come close. Negombo is an interesting enough place for a night or two and I often use it at the beginning or end of a trip to Sri Lanka due to its close proximity to the airport, but that's the only reason. If you are looking for clean sand and palm trees, Negombo is certainly not the place you want to base yourself.

If you are looking for a luxurious beach retreat for an extended period, the best beaches are to be found further south .. and my favourites are on the south coast. The long drive from the airport is more than worthwhile if you are staying for more than a few days. Often people are looking for big hotels in the south and then it can be hard to recommend something suitable,as this area has more boutique properties and villas than the large hotels of the west coast .. but as this is exactly what you seem to be looking for, it would be perfect for you. If you don't want to travel so far, places like Bentota might suit you, but you are still talking several hours drive from the airport to reach this. Have a look at a site such as this one from Red Dot Tours, as it will give you a good idea of just what is available, and where.

http://www.reddottours.com/

Sue

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

With regard to your query, Negombo beach is a working beach unlike the beaches of Sri Lanka down south. Fishermen head off early morning and fish can be bought directly from them within walking distance from the house when they arrive on shore with their catch of the day which adds to the enjoyment for a lot of people staying at "The Cove" as the chef will cook whatever you wish.

Unlike the resorts downsouth there are numerous restaurants, shops and four and five star hotels closeby the cove and you can therefore have variety rather than be stuck in one hotel without the possibility to wonder on foot. Most of the hotels down south are self contained resorts where there is no possibility to move outside the hotel unless you are taken by a driver.

The idea that a beach has to be blue sea and palm trees is held by some euorpeans who only had an opportunity to see picture postcards of the sea. There is more to a beach holiday than looking at palm trees and blue sea. Take for example upwards of 30 old fashioned catamarans fishing far out in the water in the early morning seen from the comfort of your bed.

The speed in which the previous reply was made and the mention of a travel agents weblink should make you wonder how unbias this reply was.

I have stayed in the Cove with my husband and young child and had a wonderful time and enjoyed the beach thoroughly. How often do you get to open your hotel bedroom door on the second floor and onto a deck with proper sized swimming pool and have a private swim before breakfast looking out over the bay.

I have posted my comments on Homeawayholidays website where I initially found The Cove. I don't have the link but it is simple to find on Google.

I hope this is of some help

Lepa (Windsor, Berkshire)

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

the insinuation that there is some bias to sue,s post is ridiculous, look at the 1700 replies for a start.

sue, like almost all knowledeable about sri lanka spend very little time in negombo, it seems perfectly natural to me that if you are going to travel half way round the world for a beach holiday then it is a good idea to find a good beach and whilst the poster above mentions the almost self contained resorts down south there are others like Hikkaduwa that have the restaurant choices, shops, fish market, small town feel that negombo has but with a good beach as well with the opportunity for snorkelling and swimming with giant turtles as an extra.

i accept that negombo has some fans but there are others like myself who have been there are not impressed at all and are entitled to express that here.

4. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 09:11
5. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 17:45
6. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 09:12
india
Level Contributor
100 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

I totally agree with Sue : much much better to travel down to the south , for ex Hikkaduwa....not true that there is nothing to do other than stay in the resort...planty of small restaurants around..very clean beach/water unlike the mudy water of Negombo...I v been in Sri Lanka 10 times or more and negombo is the last place I would spend more than one day...is a cool location cauz so close to the airport !!!

Chrck it out urself and update this post...

Sue is totally right

Stockholm, Sweden
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

Dear Sue,

I am planning to get married this summer and me and my fiance found The Cove online. It seems like a wonderful place to get some privacy and still be close to the beach in Negombo.

I am a bit doubtful for frauds and ads on internet and I am searching for someone who has actually seen the place in reality (in Negombo). I think you have and would be very thankful if you could tell me where it is exactly located (or if you have a number to the owner) since I cant find any contact number to ask this to the owner .

Thanks in advance, awaiting your reply,

thankfully

Hanna

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

Hi Hanna

I've no personal experience of The Cove I'm afraid. My comments on #1 were related to the Negombo beach area in general, as I pointed out at the time, much to someone's distaste it seems!! I still stand by what I said and would recommend that anyone looking for a longer beach based stay is better off heading south of Negombo although it's a perfectly acceptable base for a short time and I often stay there for the odd night at the beginning or end of a Sri Lanka trip. Maybe others will be able to offer you more help than I can.

All the best

Sue

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The Cove Beach Villa, Negombo

HI

I have just come back to the cove and it is a lovely place but feel utterly ripped off.

It is way too over priced and what made it worse is when you get charged almost £2 for a cup of tea/coffee and even water!

If I am paying $375 per night you would expect these usual beverages to be included.

We were also shocked to discover a $50 charge if we asked the chef to cook anything of our choice that we purchase from outside, such as sea food...$50 per sitting is craziness.

There are only 2 sunbeds by the beach and 2 by the pool which is very inconvenient when there are about 8 people in the house.

Even through the surroundings are lovely it is very boring there, there has been no attempt to entertain the guests by means of games etc.

You dont get the same feel as a hotel and yet paying way over the odds for this is not worth it.

The staff are lovely, as they are in all of Sri Lanka but the other issue is they dont always have what you need, for examle they had run out of coke and when I ordered a specific desert from the menu I was told the chef didnt have the ingredients, I dont think this would happen in a hotel.

I wouldnt recommend!

Get answers to your questions about Negombo