We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon - Poya Day

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woking
Level Contributor
539 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon - Poya Day

I am staying at the Jetwing Blue and the 3rd July is my Birthday. Apparently the 3rd July is a Full Moon, does this mean it is Poya Day and does that mean I cannot have a drink on my Birthday?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon - Poya Day

Hi there...

Yes, July 3rd is indeed a Poya Day (Full Moon), and bars will be closed that day, however, your hotel, like all others, will serve you alcohol via room service, or the in room mini bar..

Regards

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon - Poya Day

Specially All the public bars are closed on that day. but no problem to drink alcohol. If you need you can buy enough and keep with you enough drinks.

Sharon Gunathilake

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon - Poya Day

We spent the last night of our holiday in Negombo prior to a very early morning flight home. It was a Poya Day in April and most restaurants and shops were closed and to be honest the place was rather deserted.

I supect that you will be better staying at the hotel that night.

We did eventually find an open restaurant, we drank Sprite and were the only diners - the food and service was fantastic though ;-)

We had lunch at the Jetwing Pavillions Hotel that day and drank Sprite with that meal too.

What about buying your favourite tipple a few days before and have this on your balcony/terrace pre and post dinner?

Edited: 16 June 2012, 23:36
Woking
Level Contributor
539 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon - Poya Day

Thank-you everybody for your informed comments. We arrive in Sri Lanka on the 2nd, have 2 nights at Jetwing Blue and leave on the 4th for an Island Tour to then fly off to the Maldives a week later then Dubai and home. I chose the two nights at Negombo to relax after flight and before our tour AND to have my birthday at Jetwing Blue and probably fine dine at the Black Coral that evening. Now I know we'll be toasting my birthday in lemonade lol. Thanks Alibaba, I think we will buy a bottle of champagne at the airport to have in the room.

Happy Hols!

5. Re: Full Moon - Poya Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:41