We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos

could anybody please give me some advice on how to deal with the bugs and

bites.We traveling to Nogombo for 10 night in august 2013.

Cliff

from scotland

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

Buy some repellent with 50-100% DEET.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

Buy plenty before you go (amazon pretty good) as thin on the ground in Lanka I believe. Get the 50% the 100% melts plastic..glasses etc.. its a bit oily but does the job!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,664 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

Gosh Hans

That strength deet would strip the paint off your car. You don't need it that strength. 25% will do the job just as nicely except that you'd have to apply it more often.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

thank you for advice I will stock up before I go.

many thanks

Cliff

London, England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

Off topic, but there are far nicer and interesting places to spend 11 days than Negombo, unless you enjoy a built up strip of hotels, theme bars, restaurants and souvenir shops.

If that's what you like then ignore my comments.

east sussex
Level Contributor
527 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

eric please advise as a party of about 30 of us are going to my sons wedding but he not too sure where to go?

7. Re: mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2013, 07:32
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

There is culture (Anuradhapura/ Polonnaruwa/ Kandy/ Sigiriya), Hills (Nuwara Eliya/ Ella/ Haputale), Beaches (Down south - Unawatuna/ Mirissa/ Tangalle; East Coast - Arugam Bay/ Trincomalee), Wildlife (Nature reserves/ Rainforests) etc etc....Take your pick and the forum will help you fine tune the plan.

* For off the beaten track try Knuckles Mountain Range, Kothmale area, Hatton, Dickoya, Bogawanthalwa, Belihuoya (more suitable for smaller groups)

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
750 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitos

We purchased the repellant from boots its there own make in a grey container it has 50% feet did the job no probs

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitos

50% was OK for us in all places we have been

Get answers to your questions about Negombo