We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel near Columbo airport?

London
9 posts
Save Topic
Best hotel near Columbo airport?

Hi, can anyone recommend a nice hotel near the airport? Want somewhere nice and not too expensive for our last night.

Thanks

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

You will probably have to look to Negombo, Waikkal or Marawila to get what you want. Cost is between about £45 to £90 for double B and B. Look at places like Browns Beach, Club Dolphin, Blue Oceanic or Palm Bay if you want the luxury end or Sea Shells for something a bit cheaper.

If you want the very best then it has to be The Wallawwa, just 15 -20 minutes from the aiport and set in the beautiful tranquil garden of a traditional Sri Lankan manor house. Currently prices are about £120 per night for a suite room, with a three for two offer or second night half-price until April. I tack this on to the end of my trips and it feels like part of the holiday rather than just hanging around to get to the airport.

Have a great trip.

David.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

I would recommend Villa Araliya in Negombo - see the TA reviews for further info.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,152 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

Also have a look at the typical airport hotels, most of them have a free shuttle. Leaving aside Goodwood Plaza which has the worst reviews this gives:

* Tamarind Tree, inland

* Ramada Airport, good new 3-star, near beach

* Taj Airport Garden, claims 4-star, on lagoon beach

Compare these with Negombo hotels/GH's, adding the transfer in their case.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

don't know how close it is to the airport but one of the best hotels we stayed at was Mount Lavinia. The rooms and food were amazing. Wasn't £60 for the night I think too, but that was through our driver who may have had contacts.

Would recommend this any time.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

Mount Lavinia is about 43 km from the airport.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

Try the Ranweli near Negombo. Its an 'eco resort', not really a resort but a peninsular but it is peaceful and a magical entrance if you arrive at night.

Sri Lankan style bungalows, not posh but very nice, no TV or other western embellishments. Check out the birds & wildlife.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

I would second rosco2's recommendation of Ranweli. It will take around 25 minutes to get there from the airport and gives you that bit of escapism and relaxation that you want for your last night. It's not overly expensive, not overly luxurious, but totally charming and peaceful with good food plus nice beach and pool. I've stayed there on three occasions and would be very happy to be back there right now ...

Sue

8. Re: Best hotel near Columbo airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Yatiyana