We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Taipei to Hualien

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Taipei to Hualien

As I read that most tourists travel by train to Hualien, is it possible to drive there? This was suggested by a driver with a 9-seaters. However as I checked the Goggle map, the road seemed to be very windy. Can someone advise what is the speed limit there?

Thanks for any advice.

Hualien County...
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Taipei to Hualien

To drive to Hualien from Taipei you will need to pass the famous Suao-Hualien Highway. The travel between Taipei and Suao can be done in 1 hour by going through freeway 5. The Suao-Hualien highway is windy, but wasn't too bad compare to three cross island highways, and is wide enough. The total length is 102 km from Suao to Hualien. The normal travel time is 2-2.5 hour. I would say travel between 40-50km / hr would be safer and more comfortable.

There are attractions you can visit along with. The view is spectacular, especially the part in Hualien County. There are also very good ice shop at the mid-point town Nan-ao. Fen-Niao-Lin Fishing Port provides good view for photo.

The treats on this road being the high number of trucks and cars that try to overtake other cars at curves. The geographic structure there is also not stable, when the weather turns very bad, the road will be closed for safety.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Taipei to Hualien

Hi Singapore!

We did this drive in February. The freeway south from Taipei, Route 5, is as good and fast as the motorways in Malaysia. You'll make excellent time on the freeway once you get out of Taipei urban traffic.

On the rural roads, traffic is slower because of two-lane undivided highways and lower speed limits in built-up areas. The roads are all well paved and safe, though, even when we traveled in winter, and this includes mountain roads

Signage in the Republic of China is bilingual, in both English and Chinese. If you do not bring your own road maps, though, the maps you get in Taipei (at least the free ones) are often in Chinese only, making it tricky to navigate if it were the case that you don't read Chinese. A GPS can help in this respect.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Level Contributor
103 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Taipei to Hualien

I engaged a driver n I did ask about the road... Think the only main problem is the fallen rocks.... So just be more alert during rainy season.... As they are expanding the road, there will be a number of big vehicles., just be nice and give way.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Taipei to Hualien

Thank you for the advice.

We travelled quite often on the road with our kids and so far they were fine. Our first concern is the safety on the long road journey followed by the possibility of our kids having motion sickness. We will have to travel both ways by van if we do engage the driver to pick us from Taoyuan Airport on the first day. The speed of 40-50 sounds safe. When I looked at the goggle map, there are some areas that do seems windy and quite worrying.

5. Re: Driving from Taipei to Hualien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hualien County