We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

Which Kaohsiung hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

I have done some research and found out that following a one-tour with guide to lotus lake attractions at Zuoying followed by going to Fo Guang shan cost NT$1400 per person which is:

國家體育場→左營舊城→蓮池潭(春秋閣、龍虎塔、孔廟)→體驗特色左營小吃(自費) / 佛光山→行程結束

Hence, was thinking if booking a cabbie covering the same route would cost lesser or greater than NT$1400. Hope someone can advise me on this Thanks!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

Hi Jurong!

When we visited Lotus Lake, we went without a guide. I'm really glad we did, because I think a guide would have spoiled everything.

Lotus Lake is one of a kind: a religious amusement park! Not the kind with rides and water slides, but a kilometer-long lake with wall-to-wall temples around its entire circumference! A guide might help you understand the significance of each one, but he'd probably snow you under with excessive detail too.

We're Anglos with a limited understanding of Chinese religion. We were absolutely thrilled with the experience, strolling the passageways along the lake (and out to the temples actually built over the lake), wandering into the temples, chatting with the priests who always welcome visitors, and being utterly floored by the sights, like the six-storey temple with the Buddha on the roof, and the twin towers, etc. etc.

It took us 1 1/2 hours just to walk around the lake and wander into some temples (not all -- there are too many). A guide would not only have slowed us down, but worse he would have erased that sense of wonder that we found exploring on our own in this unique place!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

Alright thanks Capetien! Glad to hear from you the wonderful experience u had at Lotus lake.

1)By the way, do u remember what form of transport u took to reach Lotus Lake? Is is by the form of MRT or taxi?

2) If in form of MRT, most proximate MRT is the Zuoying MRT rite?

3) Can we walk to Lotus Lake from Zuoying MRT?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

We had our own rental car. We drove there ourselves, and found free parking right in the Taoist Temple grounds!

It looks like a 5-10 minute walk from the Confucius Temple at the northern tip of the lake to Zuoying metro station. Zuoying is on the Red Line going into central Kaohsiung.

David

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

Just a note,

We actually took more than 30 minutes on foot from Zuoying MRT station to Lotus Lake. Another 20 minutes to reach the pagodas since they are located at the other side of the lake. We were thankful that the weather was fine so it wasn't a big issue. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I agreed that you don't need a guide to do this.

On our way back to Zuoying, we took a taxi and it costs NT100. Tip: Ask the helpful staffs at the Tourist Information Centre to dial you a cab.

I'm not sure about Fo Guan Shan since we didn't visit.

regards

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

Thanks David and minghui for sharing with me on various alternatives to reach Lotus Lake, i will take note of it haha

6. Re: From Kaohsiung to Lotus lake followed by FoGuangShan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2012, 05:19