We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

Universal
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

We are x2 families with children and would like to do the northern circuit as the parks seem to flow from the one to the other (excluding the serengeti) . we are interested in Arusha Nat. park, Tarangire and the Crater. We would also like to take a walk at the foot of the Kilimanjaro Park. We are landing in Nairobi.

1. Where is the best to start and end as we are going to Zanzibar after that safari.

2. Reasonable accommodation close to the parks. have a few in mind: Moivaro Lodge, Kudu Lodge, Tarangire safari lodge, Marangu Hotel. Do we chose 1 and do the safari from there or what is the best option as we don't want to pack up all the time.

3. How is a bus trip from Arusha to Dar es salaam or is flying a better option with kids?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

Chocolate...

There will probably be as many different answers to your three questions as there will be posters, but here's one, BTW, seven days is more then enough for these three parks and a short walk around the foothills of Kilimanjaro.

!) You should begin in Arusha and end in Arusha, then go from there to Zanzibar.

2) These are all reasonable lodges, but you might want to consider getting a safari company and having them transport you from park to park; don't need to keep packing up as you will be in the same vehicle, so you can just take enough along for the safari time. You can find safari companies listed on the member page of www.tatotz.org.

3) The bus trip will be a rather long trip (over 600km) and you'll leave mid morning and arrive in Dar es Salaam about 3 to 4:00pm. I would suggest if you do the bus then take Scandinavia Bus line (they have a better safety and maintenance record) and you should take the luxury bus which has a restroom on board, otherwise you'll use the bush only when they make a stop along the road. You will also need to get to Arusha from Nairobi airport. There are shuttle buses that go between Nairobi and Arusha, it's a 4 hour trip plus the stop at the border.

Once in Dar you can take the ferry over to Zanzibar which is about a 2 hour boat ride, depending upon the tides and wind. The ferry leaves from the city center at the ferry docks.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

Hi

Flying is a better option to get to Zanzibar, with the bus you have a 50-50 chance of making the last ferry at 16;30 and the bus can be delayed en-route.

east coast
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

Hi. We just got back from two weeks in Tanzania. What a wonderful time you are going to have. Our trip included Tarangire, Lake Manyara ( we loved this-- more than Tarangire) the crater, and the serengeti. We also did some hiking, and went up to the Kili. National Park. We then flew from Arusha to Dar, and went by car to Bagamoyo. There is a great book on just the Northern Circuit and Zanzibar by Bradt. Do you have a safari company you are working with? I can give you the name of ours if you are interested. He was excellent, and very well priced-- I looked at alot of companies. Everything went very smoothly. I would not recommend taking a bus. You would be better to fly from Arusha directly to Zanzibar. It is very hot along the coast and those buses are jam backed with people. I would be very careful too about who I let drive me. Accidents and fatalities are not uncommon. I have never seen driving like that anywhere. Our guide was a very careul and safe driver. You need to be very alert as a pedestrian. I am still jumping around when I see a car !! Our tour guide arranged all our accomodations and we were very pleased with them. I think it is often hard to determine something by a picture. Our guy was local, and knew what the places were like. I found them very willing to work within our budget. Well, I hope this will be helpful. I hope you don't get two of these e-mails-- I've never done this before, and I "lost" the first one I wrote. Well, take care, and get ready for the time of your life

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

Hi,

We are in the pre-planning stages of our safari and I would love to have the name of your guide/operator.

amy.riversidespeech@gmail.com

thanks!

Bern, Switzerland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

To anyone who's taken the bus from dar to arusha - is at all interesting in terms of landscape, culture, adventure or novelty? Or does it just suck?

Thanks, in advance for your reply

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

I've taken the bus many times. There's all kinds of scenery, plains, flatlands, mountains, small villages, maasai steeps, etc. And it flies past you at 120 KPH. The answers to your questions would be as varied as there are posters.

loonydon
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

Hi,

we are planing similiar trip (first time in africa in august 07), and was wondering about visa (we are british), we fly in to Nairobi, wish to have a base at Moshi, and have 6-7 days to do Safari and then to dar-zanzibar for rest and then back to nairobi somehow. We are on a budget so flying cost are little high for us. we have 13 days in africa altogether. Any suggestions please.

We are hoping to use dotcom safaris ltd, any one use them before?

Also to do north tz safari what do i expect to pay we are a family of 4.

Is it possible to have a base in Moshi and do daily trips to manyara, crater etc? or is it better to do one after another.

Thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

The cheapest way to get from place to place is by bus. According to the time of day that you get into Nairobi you can take the shuttle to Arusha/Moshi. If you get in too late in the day then you'll need to stay in Nairobi overnight.

You would be better advised to base yourself in Arusha. If you base in Moshi then you'll need to go through Arusha (or take very bad roads) to get to the parks. Moshi is over 100 km from Arusha. I wouldn't advise continually going to and from the parks. For example to get to Manyara it will take you about 2 hours from Arusha, from Moshi add 1 1/2 more hours.

You can take a bus to Dar, it will take you all day, then wait in Dar on the ferry the next morning to go to Zanzibar. Same coming back, except it will be a bit longer as you will need to return to Nairobi.

Get your visa at the airport and border. You will need a transit visa in Nairobi airport, cost will be $20. At the border you will need to get a Tanzania visa, cost will be $50 (don't expect them to have change, and they don't typically convert money there, and it's quoted in US dollars.

loonydon
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

thanks karl this is great help.

10. Re: itinerary for the northern safari (only have 7 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 07:15