We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
8 posts
Save Topic
Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Has anyone heard of Mama Wilson's? Is it a B&B? We are doing a Tanzania safari next year with OAT. This is where we meet to start our safari. We have chose to do our own airfare with Mileage to upgrasde to first class, flying from San Diego. We will fly in a day early and are trying to get reservations for Mama's - can not find much on it, not listed on any of the websites for hotels/lodges in Arusha. If so, where is it located in Arusha? If we cannot get a room there we are looking at Kia or Mt Meru Lodges, looks like on the map they are close to the airport. Kilimanjaro Intl.

Any suggestions someone??

Thanks

SD Millers

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Why not try to work with OAT (I've traveled with them and or Grand Circle Travel at least 6 times; they're great!) and see if they will book you in at Mama Wilson's for the extra night. I don't know anything about the place, but if past experience is any indication, you will be just fine.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

I went on the OAT Serengeti safari in July and you will LOVE Mama Wilson's. It is not a bed and breakfast, but rather a compound where Mama and her family live in the main house, while guests stay in very comfortable motel-like rooms on beautiful grounds. The food is delicious and totally safe--even the salads. I suggest that you have OAT make the reservation for you for the extra night. The night that we left, Elieza, our guide with Kibo Safaris (owned by Papa Wilson) was picking up an OAT couple who were coming in a day early. You will definitely want to depend on OAT to arrange transportation since it is a long way from the airport into Arusha.

It was a great trip--all accommodations and meals were wonderful, but here are a few tips.

-Take masks to wear on safari if you are going during the dry season because it is really dusty.

-Take heavy duty lotion, cuticle cream, a nail brush, and a great hair conditioner because the dryness extracts all of the oils from your skin and hair.

-Make sure you have a camera with at least a 10-12x optical zoom if you are using a point and shoot. I had a good camera with a 55-200mm lens and wished that I had taken a longer lens plus a point and shoot with a stronger zoom. Make sure that all cameras have image stabilizers because you will be shooting pictures while the vehicles are moving.

-Be sure to take strong binoculars (at least 8x40) because you will be able to see a lot more animals.

-Take notebooks, pens, pencils and zip-lock plastic bag for the school children.

This trip is a life-changing experience. Have a great time!

Pat M from TX

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

You make Mama Wilson's sounds very interesting, Pat. Is it near the city center? Can you give a ballpark on the price for a room for one night? Lastly, does it have an email address? Thank you.

Doria from New York

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

As strange as it sounds, I cannot tell you exactly how far Mama Wilson's is from the center of Arusha (which is really by our standards a small town). It would take no more than 10-15 minutes from the center by car, depending on how many times the driver has to slam on the brakes because there are no stoplights. The trip that I took through OAT was all inclusive so I don't know the cost of a single night. I do not recommend that you go there planning to use public transportation, however. Their buses are privately owned mini-vans, stacked to the top with people. I would not have a clue how you would find out which one to take to Mama Wilson's. They definitely would not deliver you to the gate since it is off of a major road and it would not be easy to find.

Also the Kilimanjaro airport is about an hour from Arusha and since most of the flights from the US via the Netherlands arrive in the evening, it would be not be easy to rent a car and then find the place. (Also since TZ was a British colony, they drive on the left, and with no stoplights that makes every car ride an interesting experience.) Mama Wilson is married to the man who owns Kibo Safari Company, the outfitter that OAT uses to arrange their land tours. Perhaps they could give you more info on contacting the property. I think they use it primarily for OAT groups and other people on their safaris, though.

I am sorry that I have no more info but it was pretty low key--no signage, no stationery, and behind a locked gate down a very bumpy back street! The only computer on the property was in Mama's house which is also in the compound--thus I have no email address either. I have not been able to find any mention of Mama's in tour books or on the web.

http://www.kibosafaris.com/

San Diego
Level Contributor
524 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Texas Pat - thanks for the info - yes we plan all the above mentions points. I always have tons of lotion, living in sunny Calif and dry skin! My husband has the good Cannon and all the lenses and equipment. The mask thing is a good idea, never thought about that one. How about t-shitrs for the kids? My husband had a great idea to go to a local t-shirt place or swap meet and buy a batch and ship a bunch of stuff ahaed of us to Kibo guides for our trip.

Doria from New York - you could email Joshia at www.kiboguides.com and ask him he can assist you with the reservations. There are also lots of lodges in Arusha that are resonable in price, for just a night. I could not find a single thing on my internet search for Mamma Wilsons, only the connection to OAT, so it must be a private place. Yes I hear from him it is hard to find, but tell taxi driver to take you to Kibo it is next to it. When are you going on safari?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

SD... You may have a bit of difficulty shipping a bunch of T-shirts into Tz. They would need to go through customs and there would be duty applied to them, even if they went through the Post Office. If you do decide to do this then allow a lot of time, more then you might expect. Shipping takes a long time (if it goes at low rates allow at least a month and a half) and there are always delays and bureaucrats with their hands out.

Another idea you might want to consider is to purchase them after you get there. Go to Sunflag (?) and they manufacture them there (and then ship to Europe and the US). They have a little shop in their compound where you can purchase what they make. A taxi driver can get you there, and it's located in Arusha. There are also many other places where they sell and print T-shirts in Arusha.

San Diego
Level Contributor
524 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Thanks Karl - yes we were worried about that, what the customs would do and if in deed they would even arrive there at all. I will checkout Sunflag, see what we can do.

SD

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Assume you have already done this. I just returned from an OAT trip and Mama Wilson's is owned by the same guy "Willie" who owns the Kibo Safari Company which is the ground operator OATS uses. The lodge is fine; nice big rooms, nice central building overlooking a pool with big veranda where all the meals are served. Willia also owns the Ngorongoro Farm House and the camp at lake Manyara and Bubge which Kibo uses. He has 7 camps in all, about 40 guides and about 14 land cruisers/rovers. The trips are usually for about 15 people with three guides per trip. Our trip was terrific. We had great guides, accomodations, food, animal viewing etc.

Alabama
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Here is a website with pictures of Mama Wilson's

http://warusha.blogspot.com/ Go to the bottom of the page and work your way up. I hope that this is where we stay also and not the "or similar". LOL

This website is a review of the OAT Serengeti Safari taken last year.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

Linda

San Diego
Level Contributor
524 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Thanks Linda, I did read that article from SFgate.com it was cute.

I could not hook up to the warusha.blogspot.com site.

I have been in contact with Joshia at Kibo Guides and he said the lodge is called Olasti Lodge, owned by Willie of Kibo guides. Found some pictures on a web page somewhere but can't remember now. But I do know it looked good. All the properties owned by Kibo are nice:

Ngorongoro Farmhouse & Maramboi Tented Camp are the onces we will stay during our trip.

Thanks again,

SD