We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

I was considering staying at the Impala but came across Outpost Lodge...which is significantly cheaper.

Can anyway advise on the advantages/disadvantages of going to one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

They are quite near to each other. Lately I've heard some blah reviews of the Impala. From the sounds of it, the Impala's rooms could use an update. They are probably still a little nicer than the Outpost, but for a budget traveler, the Outpost is perfectly fine. Good price, tasty food, nice travel atmosphere. But not a good enough place for most people who are spending thousands on a safari experience. It's easier to get taxis from Impala if that matters. Impala also has excellent food and more variety, with I think 4 restaurants. Impala is a tourist-hotel. Outpost is a very large house that has been converted into a bed and breakfast with additional rooms on the grounds.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

Hi

And if staying at outpost please take taxis, it is down a side road and not 100% safe after dark to walk.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

For another consideration you might want to inquire at the Arusha Center Tourist Inn which is located very near to the central mosque. The last time that I was in Arusha I stayed there and was pleasantly surprised. The cost for non-residents is $25 a night, including breakfast. They have good security and it's located in the central part of Arusha. Not a luxurious hotel, but it has a good restaurant, is clean, has hot water, so it meets all my requirements for a place to stay.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

Should I ask my operator to change the hotel as we want 2 to be able to relax before we go on our safari the following morning

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

Thanks a mil guys...knew that I could count of you!!

Karl, will check out the Inn. However, does the proximity of the Inn to the central mosque means being awakened by the calls to pray? I'm a girl who loves my sleep :-D

Also, if possible, any other suggestions on accommodation would be welcomed.

M

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

M... Anytime you're anywhere in Arusha close to a mosque you will have the opportunity to be awakened at 5:00am. I must be used to them because they don't wake me up; but then I'm always up by 6:00am anyways.

Another good (remember my criteria for a good hotel is that it's secure, has hot water, clean linens, decent restaurant for breakfast, and rather clean rooms) is the Meru House Inn on Sokoine street (Arusha's main street) about across from the Post Office. I have never stayed here, but have friends who have and I have visited them in their rooms and eaten at their restaurant. This place is really cheap, I think about 20,000 TSH (at 1,250 TSH = $1).

I used to stay at the Equator Hotel in Arusha. It's on Boma street up from the clock tower. It's good, and the price is about $70. All hotels and guest houses include breakfast of some sort.

I've also stayed at the Ilboru Safari Inn, and I think their rate is about $50 a night. This is a nice hotel but it really off the beaten path, about a mile up a very difficult road, and it's difficult to get a taxi there unless you telephone them.

I am going to copy below this paragraph my cheat sheet of hotels in Arusha's city cetner with the prices for non-residents. Some of the prices may be a bit out of date but they are close.

A.M. Tshs US$ 40

Arusha Crown Hotel US$ 60

Arusha Hotel US$ 160

Arusha Resort Centre US$ 40

Arusha Royal Court Hotel US$ 45

City Link Pentagon Hotel US$ 60

Eland Motel Tshs. US$ 40

Equator Hotel Tshs. US$ 70

Golden Rose Tshs US$ 36

Ilboru Safari Lodge US$ 53

Impala US US$ 72

L’Oasis Lodge & Restaurant US$ 65

Manor Tshs. US$ 40

Meru House Inn US$ 15

Hotel Seventy Seven Ltd Tshs. US$ 25

SG Resort US$ 40

Sinka Court Hotel US$ 30

If you would like the contact on any of these let me know and I'll try to find it.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

M,

I recommend that you give us your budget, how long you'll be staying in Arusha, what you'll be doing there or would like to do there, and what type of place you would like.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

If you want to pay a little more:

Mt. Village Serena

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

The nicest hotel in Arusha now is the recently opened Kibo Hotel on Old Moshi Road, not too far out of the city center. Expect the rack rate to be ~ $200. Good place to go for an evening meal.

There will also be another hotel opening soon and the former Novetel is undergoing some rather badly needed renovations and I don't know when it will reopen. It will probably be very nice when these get opened up, but I think they are going for both the tourist crowd and the EAC and Tribunal diplomats and attorneys.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,129 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Impala Hotel or Outpost Lodge?

It's going back a few years now but I liked the Ilboru SafariLodge the twice I stayed there. Very attentive.

No early morning calls to prayer but the local dogs kicked up quite a racket into the night.

If the price is still competitive as Karls list I would suggest you give it a try.

No problems with access.

However as Brian says.

Why are you in Arusha and for how long?

If just overnight to/from JRO that there are lots better along the road.