We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

How is the drive from Arusha to Nairobi Wilson Airport and how long will it take? Is border crossing and general safety ok? Are roads paved? We have an option to take a Precision Air flight at 9:00a.m. and then transfer from Nairobi International Airport to Wilson where we need to catch a 1:15 p.m. flight. We are being advised to drive as the time involved would be similar and Precision air apparently is not the most reliable. We would be using Riverside for driver and car. Would love to have your thoughts. Thanks so much.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

On Day 7 departing Olduvai will take a good part of the day, that a turnoff to Tarangire would be a bit much. While Tarangire is one of my favorite parks, by December with the short rains, the game disperses from the park with many water source outside the park. By the time you'd arrive here, besides having to pay daily park fees, before you commence game drive, you'd have to be heading back to Arusha (2-2.25/hr drive) or overnight at Tarangire. With early departure next morning, you'd probably do best with a nice dinner and to sleep.

From the crater it's easily a 5/hr drive to Arusha (4/hrs if not another car, truck, cart, cow or person on a bike on the road) can be more. Olduvai will easily add 1+/hr and from the Crater to Olduvai is lousy road... rather dirt/gravel tracks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

Hi again Annie,

On reflection 4sandi is right. Tarangire would be a bit much to fit in from Oldupai. (I think I was still focussed on Gibbs)

I do admire your choice in a way. You will certainly be off the beaten track at Olkarien.

You are seeing the Crater and Serengeti and these are the main draws. You may even see Kilimanjaro if the weather is kind too so that is more than most folk do.

Karl will say, and I agree, that people come to Tanzania for the animals and come back for the people. You will be back. You will catch a bug for which the only relief is a return visit. I got it 20 years ago and there is no hope of a cure now.

Pronunciation is straight forward, with any stress on the last but one syllable. All syllables end in a vowel i.e. Ka ri bu. But getting it wrong will only add to the fun.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

It makes a little more sense now. Your December game drives from the Olduvai area should be productive - not necessarily short, but fruitful.

One little known option is a visit to the Hadzabe Bushmen - not much detail here on how to conduct your visit, but perhaps you will have a driver/guide who knows enough: http://www.kilimanjaro.cc/hadzabe.htm Here's another, with a link to the author:http://www.articlesbase.com/travel-articles/tanzania-bushmen-in-lake-eyasi-61982.html

As for the drive from Arusha to Nairobi, here's the site with the less expensive service:

easafas.com/nairobi_transfer_and_car_rental/…

They provide the minibus for $260.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

Hi Annie - although over a year ago, did you enjoy Lemartis camp? We are considering going there for 3 nights this August. We also plan to stay at the Ol Seki camp in the Maasai. Do you know anything about that camp also?

Thanks very much.

Darlene

25. Re: drive from Arusha to Wilson Airport Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 15:17