We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manyara or Tarangire?

Victoria
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Manyara or Tarangire?

Hey all,

I know that this question will bring a wide variety of subjective answers, so any and all feed back is appreciated.

My wife and I are coming to Tanzania in early February and will do a safari. Due to both budget and time constraints, it will be only 5 days. Most itineraries for this length of time are for Serengeti, Ngorongoro and either Lake Manyara or Tarangire, but not both. What are people's suggestions for which one to visit, if we can only choose one?

Also, any advice on good tour budget operators is always welcome :)

Cheers,

Noah

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

Oh dear. You pick a time when Karl is indisposed to ask that question. He would say "Manyara is Ho hum". I would disagree. North Americans do tend to pass up on Manyara, I can spend days in there (and have done.) You will pass by the gates of Manyara on your way to Ngorongoro. Lets leave it at that.

My last trip I used Swala www.swalasafaris.com and had no complaints. Get a quote from several and pick the one that suits both budget and aspirations.

February will have the Migration quite close in but you may have accomodation problems. This is Peak season there.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

Given the limited time & budget, I would agree with Mfuwe's recommendation to see Lake Manyara. And in that case, I would make sure that you see that first because it will most likely be the least remarkable (it's still great, yes, but in comparison to the Serengeti & Ngorongoro it usually takes second place). And unless you are planning to fly back from the Serengeti, I would recommend that you go in this order: Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, return to Arusha. This spreads out the driving so that you aren't slammed with a ton of driving in one day (as you would be if you went: Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro, Serengeti, return to Arusha.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

Another vote for Manyara. While Tarangire is a favorite of mine, it's not really at its optimum for game viewing in February.

With your limited time, this works best. And, Brian's routing - Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro.

Victoria
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

That's 3 votes to a silent Karl - Lake Manyara it is. Thanks everyone! Much appreciated, especially the advice about the best route regarding the amount of driving time.

Cheers!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

From silent Karl.... I would vote for Tarangire, and so as not to disappoint Mfuwe IMO Manyara is rather ho-hum. However, in February neither park is all that good IMO. The large herds would have left Tarangire but I always enjoy Tarangire much more then Manyara. To each his own.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

Karl,

You are on sick leave. Listen to your Doctor man! You Marines!

But very glad you are well enough to see the joke! I shall think of you tomorrow on KQ101 heading south!

Take care good friend.

Northby9. I said you were being provocative. You and your subjective answers!

Lets just say they are both a bit quiet in February. One Hum Ho and one Ho Hum?

Manyara is more convenient but Tarangire Safari Lodge does have a nice view and you are in the Park at night.

Will that do?

Victoria
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

mfuwe,

That does beautifully. Thanks, gents!

8. Re: Manyara or Tarangire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 13:19