We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari thoughts and questions

West Seattle
11 posts
Save Topic
Safari thoughts and questions

Jambo, I am headed on camping safari with wife and 9-year-old daughter on July 1 from Arusha.

I'm an experienced traveler in the region but mostly for work and rarely on safari, so I have a couple of questions. The collective intelligence of this forum seems amazing.

-- We are finalizing a 4 day camping itinerary (Tarangire, Manyara, Ngorongoro, Arusha NP walking) and have fairly comparable bids around $2400 from Victoria Expeditions, Klub Afriko, and Nature Discovery, all recommended by friends or guidebooks.

Then we have a really nice proposed itinerary for 6 days/5 nights from Active Tanzania, for about the same price. They have been super responsive on e-mail and are recommended in the LP guide.

??1) So my first question is for feedback on the 4 companies above, especially Active Tanzania.

-- Also suggestions for the best public campsites we should advocate for at Taangire and Manyara. Based on other travelers tales I am advocating for Panorama at Manyara, and returning to Panorama after Nogornogoro instead of freezing on the crater rim.

??2) Good plan?

-- And finally, one safari company wants to book us into "The Giraffe Motel" in Arusha and I can't find anything about it on the web.

??3) Anyone know anything about it? Got a better suggestion for a $75 hotel ok for a family, preferably quiet and garden-y?

Asanta sana marafiki.

--

I'd also like to give some special shout outs to some amazing websites I have found in my searches.

Photos of all lodges and campsites, and maps of the area:

http://www.go-safari.com/

Another map

http://www.klubafriko.com/ngoronmap.htm

GORP has an amazingly deep area-by-area overview of Lake Manyara Park.

…away.com/gorp/…man_intr.htm

List of moderately priced hotels in Arusha.

http://www.victoriatz.com/arushahotels.htm

Tanzania birding hotspots

camacdonald.com/birding/africatanzania.htm

nyc
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

Can't comment on the specific outfitters listed, but trying to do 4/locations in 4/days is very hectic. Consider at least 2/nts somewhere - like Tarangire.

Day 1 - Arusha NP

Day 2 - Drive to Tarangire; game drives - camping

Day 3 - Tarangire; game drives - camping

Day 4 - Drive to Manyara; game drive, visit Mto-wa-Mbu village - camping

Day 5 - Drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater tour; drive to Manyara for camping o/n (agree, the rim might be too chilly in July)

Day 6 - Drive to Arusha

West Seattle
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

Thanks for your reply, our plan at present is the opposite direction:

1) Drive to Tarangire, camp there.

2) Drive to Manyara, camp at Panorama

3) Half day Manyara, half day hiking outside park

4) Ngorongogo, camp back at Panorama

5) back to Arusha

Safari njema?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

You say that you want a garden area at the hotel. I used to stay at the Equator Hotel in Arusha, cost the last time that I stayed there was a bit over $50, and they probably have the nicest garden area in Arusha.

Where I stay no is at the Arusha Center Inn. I see they had the cost listed at $15 on the web page that you referenced (don't know how dated that is), but the rate there was $25 the last time I was there. It's rather good but no garden or extras. You might also try the Impala, many people like that, has about 4 restaurants and bars, swimming pool, several shops, etc. I haven't been in their rooms in quite a while so don't know how they are.

West Seattle
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

Thanks, so nobody has heard of Active Tanzania safari company, huh? That's a bit worrying.

http://www.activetanzania.com/

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

They appear to be an Austrian company with an office in both Austria and at the Golden Rose complex in Arusha. I have never heard of them, but I've been in the Golden Rose many times; but there are a lot of offices there with a label on their doors. None of this means that they aren't a good company, or a not so good company for that matter. They are a member of TATO so perhaps you could contact TATO and find out some information about them.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

By the way, I forgot to ask; what are you a metonym for?

brooklyn, ny
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

I love the Victoria web site. Thanks!

Jennifer

8. Re: Safari thoughts and questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:18