We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

We will be arriving in Arusha (Kilimanjaro Airport )from the Masai Mara at 1:45 PM on Thurs Sep 25 and we need to be back in Aruba on Sun Sep 28. We leave for Mahale National Park on Monday morning.

Currently we have the following itinerary booked:

Thurs - Drive to Lake Manyara, overnight at Kirumuru Tented Camp

Fri - Game drives on Lake Manyara National Park and overnight at Kirumuru Tented Camp

Sat - Drive to Ngorongoro, afternoon crater tour, ovrenight at Ngorongoro Farm House

Sun - Depart Ngorongoro after breakfast and return to Arusha

I don't really feel like having a free day in Arusha so I was wondering if it makes sense to visit Tarangire as well. The website of the Kirumuru Tented Camp says it is 40 min from Tarangire. Does that sound right?

Or should I stay at Tarangire the first night and then move to Lake Manyara for the second night?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

It will sound good if you start with Tarangire as you wont drive an hour back from manyara.

So the programs will sound like day 1 to tarangire,day 2 to lake manyara and day 3 to ngorongoro then back to Arusha.Your days sound like so enough to do it like this.

Thanks,

Ikoda

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

I would watch the closing daylight on your arrival. JRO is about 3 hours from Manyara or Tarangire. any delays and you will be looking at a dusk arrival.

Now (this is where I get my Brownie points from Karl G) I would honestly suggest skipping Lake Manyara and substituting Tarangire (Tarangire Safari Lodge is ideal stopover)

Reason? September 26th is peak time for 1,000s of Elephant to drink from the Tarangire River. Lots of other game come in for the same reason. Tarangire has its own mini migration at that time so lots of Wildebeeste, Impala and Zebra etc.,

Then fit in Lake Manyara* on your Sunday return from Ngorongoro as you pass the gate and time your arrival back in Arusha for 16.00 or so.

It has cost me a deal of pain to suggest this as..

1. I love Kirurumu TL &

2. I love Manyara and its Ellies. BUT

3. I like Tarangire in September too and your timing is perfect for this!

* You could stay at KTL on Sat night of course it is only half an hour on from Farmhouse. This would place you well to visit Lake Manyara early morning and thus extend your day there after all.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

Thanks for your suggestions.

Can you recommend where to stay at Tarangire? I'm organizing my trip with MICS and they suggested the Tarangire River Camp.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

Cathe.. I would concur with Mfuwe on this (glad to see that you've spun around a bit Mfuwe). The Tarangire will be very good at this time of the year and there will be very large herds of elephants there at that time (if the weather is typical).

Welcome back Mfuwe, I think you have been in India haven't you? Hope it was a good trip.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

I've asked my agent to book first 2 nights in Tarangire, we'll visit Ngorongoro crater on Saturday and Lake Manyara on the way back to Arusha, as Mfuwe suggested. I also like that it breaks the trip back by stopping at Lake Manyara. My only question now is whether to spend that last night after we visit the crater at Lemala Camp or KTL. I'm tempted by the views of the crater and the idea of a mobile camp, but KTL also seems very nice and would be cheaper.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

By the way, you guys are really helpful. Don't know how I could plan this trip without TA.

On a different topic, have any of you been to Mahale? We are staying at the Kungwe Beach Lodge. I'm really excited but my husband is not convinced it's worth the money.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

I too like Manyara and Kirurumu, but for September, I'd choose Tarangire.

As to Lemala on the crater rim vs Farmhouse outside the Ngorongoro Conservation area... Lemala is very expensive; be aware it's a tad nippy on the crater rim sited at 7,000'... you might prefer a lodge.

Thu - Drive to Tarangire; game drives - o/n Tarangire River Camp or Tarangire Safari Lodge (the later is a camp though, but small tents and very close to one another)

Fri - Tarangire; game drives - o/n

(Note: you don't want a lodge or camp at Tarangire too far into the park... will only add to your drive time next day to Ngo)

Sat - Drive (3.5/hrs) to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater visit - o/n Lemala Camp or Serena or Sopa Lodges.

Sun - Drive (2.5/hrs) to Manyara; game drive; drive (2-2.5/hrs) to Arusha - o/n

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

I have never been there; but been tempted at times. It is expensive, both to get there and back, and once there. There are some other posts on TA which discuss Mahale (and if I remember correctly the people were excited about Mahale) and if you do a search on this forum you might find them.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

Hi cathe,

glad to help anyone enjoy TZ. I have not been to Mahale (I am not too impressed by Chimps and it is a long haul.)

Back to your Itinerary.

1. Arrive Arusha and drive to Tarangire Safari Lodge on a bluff overlooking Tarangire river.

2. Friday. You don't really need Game drives as it will all be going off in the river below your Tent. But take them anyway and watch the 'free' show during the heat of the afternoon from your deck chair.

3. Sat. Drive to Ngorongoro in time for the afternoon Crater visit. Not as good as mornings but cannot be helped. Your call for the Lodgings but KTL would place you well for the morning.

4. Morning in Lake Manyara, maybe a picnic lunch or back to KTL for that. Then leisurely drive back to Arusha with a souvenir shopping in Mto wa Mbu markets, which could provide yet another venue for lunch such as Zebra Gardens.

So there you go.

Excuse the next bit.

Yes Karl I keep an open mind on Manyara and in this case Tarangire gets the vote. (But I have sneaked in a visit anyway.) Great trip to India thanks. We got to see lots including Tigers and Leopards and I even indulged Mrs M in a bit of culture. I have also revised my opnion up a notch or two and when you are fully recovered you should make the trip too.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinion on Tarangire, Lk Manyara and Ngorongoro Itinerary

There aren't many posts, but all the ones I found rave about the trip. I think we will go for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Get answers to your questions about Arusha