We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

We are staying at the Arusha Hotel while in Arusha. Any suggestions on the least expensive way to make a short call or two back to the U.S. using land lines, not cell. Also how about e-mailing? The hotel has a business center but maybe I should look for an internet cafe. Again just planning a short email or two.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,641 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

Expensive is of course relative but calling US should not bust your budget. Do NOT use the phone in your room, it will be surcharged! Check with reception but their Business Centre should be free or for a nominal charge for Web access.

I used an Internet Cafe just round the corner from the Clock Tower and it was quite safe and worked well. Did my OLCI for the flight home (from NBO)there and printed my boarding card(s).

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

I don't remember what the business center at the Arusha hotel is like. I use the internet cafe at the New Safari Hotel which is just down the street (on Boma Street) from the Arusha Hotel. It used to be quite good. There's also some Intenet cafes in behind the New Safari hotel, and one across the street at the telephone company.

If it were I and I was without a cell phone, I would ask someone there if I could use their cell phone to make a call to the US and purchase some scratch off cards and put time on their cell phone. Just make certain that you leave some time for them on the phone. You'll probably find someone who will do this. That would probably be the least expensive way to do that. I've let others do that on my telephone there.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

I agree with Karl re using someone's cell phone and just giving some money for their phone minutes. This will be the cheapest. If you use a land line, it will cost much more I believe.

The Arusha Hotel charges to use their internet but it's not a lot - at least it wasn't last time I was there a couple years ago. Connection was slow but that's typical.

Arusha
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

The best place i found to call back to home was at the clock tower patesirre. Also.. to buy a sim card in tanzanioa is only around $2 and it is fairly cheap to call and send sms's.

For internet cafe.. the best is Browsers at the shoprite complex.

5. Re: Telephoning and e-mailing from Arusha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:21