We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilboru Lodge & Eating Out in Arusha

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ilboru Lodge & Eating Out in Arusha

Hi

We are off in 5 weeks and I just wanted to check that I am correct in thinking the following...

Firstly, is Ilboru Lodge walkable into the main town during the day? We are quite fit so anything up to 45mins is an acceptable "walk into town"? Is the main town easy to find?!

if we want to eat out in the evening in Arusha, can we just get a taxi from Ilboru to an eaterie quite safely? Is it common practice, as it is in Kenya, that the taxi waits for you and takes you back again? Or does the taxi go and you then take your chances getting a different one later on?

I guess the taxi fares from Ilboru into town should be pretty reasonable?

And in the local eateries, can we pay in US dollars or are the local places only going to take TZ shillings?

Finally, anyone have any recommendations for "must-try" eating places other than the ones mentioned in in the past?

Thanks so much...getting very exicted now so even starting to think about what we'll be eating!!

Nikki

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilboru Lodge & Eating Out in Arusha

Nikki... Ilboru Lodge is up a ways onto Mt. Meru, so you'll be walking down a rather steep hill on the way into Arusha, and back up that hill on the way back. Have the desk get you a taxi, then ask the taxi driver to pick you back up (they will either wait or return at a time to get you and they will be happy to do this as it is a guaranteed fare.) I would guess that the fare into town would be around 2,000 TSH (at 1,150 TSH = $1). I would advise exchanging your money into Tz Shillings, if the restaurant takes US dollars they will exchange them at a very low rate. You're always better working in the local currency.

You could walk into town from the Ilboru Safari Lodge, but it would most probably take your 45 minutes.

For good places to eat, I might suggest Pepe's on Church Street (good Italian and all other kinds of foods), Shanghai Restaurant for Chinese on Sokoine Street, Masai Camp out a ways for good food and a lively bar, and if you want a good local place you might want to try going to Pete's Pub (I think that's the name if I remember correctly) where you can get on the street dining of bar b qued chicken, beef and fish; lively place. There's a lot of other places I don't like going to the hotels I'd rather go with the locals and other out of the way places.

Mentioned in this post
Ilboru Safari Lodge
Ilboru Safari Lodge
732 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Pepe's
Pepe's
52 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Masai Camp
Masai Camp
28 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilboru Lodge & Eating Out in Arusha

Hi

You might even want to eat at Ilboru, the new managing director is a 5* chef and the food is wonderful !

He is doing first night before a safari you have Swahili food unbelievable how much he serves up and the night after safati western food.

A taxi into town will cost 5,000 (sorry Karl price of fuel :-)

3 kms out of town is a place which does really good roast chicken called "Kwa Sifar"

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilboru Lodge & Eating Out in Arusha

Achnab... Sorry about that on the price of the taxis. I have been hesitating to give prices recently since I haven't been able to get back to Tz and am a little out of date. I was using what I paid the last time I was in Arusha. I haven't been able to get back to Tz since getting sick last year. Am hoping to get back before the end of the year, but don't know if the doctors will let me (I keep begging them). Pole Sana for the price of diesel now. I'm certain that has really cut into the safari operation margins.

4. Re: Ilboru Lodge & Eating Out in Arusha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 18:19