We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to contact registrar office for weddings?

Amersfoort
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
How to contact registrar office for weddings?

Dear travellers.

Who can assist me with the details of the registrar office in Arusha where to register if you want to get married in Tanzania? Hope someone can help me out.Thanks Irene

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
759 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to contact registrar office for weddings?

I was hoping someone who has gotten married here as a foreigner would reply. I myself don't know but this book-for like 10 bucks-will tell you perhaps

destination-weddings-abroad.com/weddingsabro…

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to contact registrar office for weddings?

Do you want to register so friends/family gift funds for your wedding? Or, wish to know how to register for a license once you've decided where in Tanzania/Zanzibar you wish to marry?

If the latter, and have chosen a resort on beach or lodge/camp while on mainland, who conducts/plans weddings, they should be able to assist you with requirements for and obtaining wedding license. Likewise, if planning a trip to Tanzania, your tour operator should be able to assist in this regard.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to contact registrar office for weddings?

I'm not certain what country you are citizens of, and that will make a difference. You should contact your local registration of marriage offices and they should be able to tell you what you need to do for your marriage to be recognized by your country of residence.

This is what is said for Swiss citizens and you may be able to garner some information for yourselves from this:

A special marriage license has to be obtained from the district registrar in Zanzibar prior to the wedding. A wedding that has taken place in Zanzibar needs to be registered in the General Registry Office of Tanzania in Dar es Salaam (RITA). For more information please contact them directly.

The General Registrar Officer of RITA will issue an international recognised marriage certificate (“Copy of an entry in a marriage register”). Please ask for 2 certificates as one original will be sent to Switzerland for registration and cannot be returned.

The marriage certificate has to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affaires in Dar es Salaam before submitting it to the Swiss Embassy.

The marriage certificate will then be legalised by the Swiss Embassy and sent to Switzerland for registration at your place of origin. A copy of your passport and a copy of your certificate of civil status (Personenstandsausweis/certificate individuel d’état civil) will also be needed.

Amersfoort
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to contact registrar office for weddings?

Thank you for your usefull advice. That is exactly what I needed. I need to organise a wedding for some one in Tanzania and needed to know how to obtain a special lisence and how to register afterwards.. I knew you are the right person to give right answers.. actually was waiting for your answer... THANKS SO MUCH

5. Re: How to contact registrar office for weddings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 05:26