We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Arusha in September?

Norway
9 posts
Save Topic
Going to Arusha in September?

Hi!

I'm a 24 year old student from Norway going to Tanzania by myself. Anyone want to join me for a safari or something? From what I understand, a lot of safari companies only do private groups, and it gets cheaper the more people in the car. Also, it would be nice to have some company:)

Susanne

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,390 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

Susanne,

Be VERY careful how you respond to any replies to your inquiry.

Many worthy operators will try and fix you up with other like minded travellers. No need to risk advertising like this.

Norway
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

Thanks, I didn't think about that. I'm not really used to be that careful about people.. Thank you for your advice:)

Do you know the names of some operators that put together groups?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,390 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

Sorry if I sounded like your Father.

Quite a lot of operators can mix and match visitrs.

Try Access2Tanzania, Basecamp, Swala etc., A new one that seems to be doing well although reports are few so far is KamakuraSafaris. All get positive feedback.

Norway
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Friendly advice is always appreciated:) thank you.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
759 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

Mfuwe Im about to sound like a mom:)

Hi Snusk85 You will need to keep in mind that many people will see you as a cash cow and while not so much "out to get you" as they are out to get your money-so be aware of "friends" who want to help you and then ask for money later, dont trust people you have just met with your belongings etc.

One thing you can do if you have time is wait until you get to Tanzania and if for example you are based in Arusha you can meet up with other backpackers at guesthouse/hostels or Via Via etc-that way you know who youre hooking up with.

Mfuwes suggestings for companies are all stellar.

Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

If you have a few days to spend in Arusha I would agree that you can find some people to share a safari with there. I was approached several times by people looking to share trips in Arusha.

Good places to look for people would be the backpackers in the city centre, Via Via (cafe/bar/cultural centre), Massai Camp (campground/bar/restaurant some km from centre) and the area around the supermarket Shoprite where there are always lots of tourists.

Good luck.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

You also might want to try these guys for joining safaris: Summits Africa, Maasai Wanderings, Bush 2 Beach, Naipenda and Shidolya.

8. Re: Going to Arusha in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 12:37