We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Method of payment for an African Safari?

colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Method of payment for an African Safari?

Every Safari tour operator based in Tanzania which I have contacted require that the payment for the Safari be done by bank transfer to their account in Tanzania. One tour company said I could charge the cost of the Safari to my credit card but that I would have to pay a 10% surcharge. Since reading about frauds and scams which can occur when contrcting for a safari obviously I am very concerned about wiring money to a bank accout in Tanzania. My question is if a payment by credit card is negotiable if I take the poition that I won't sign with a safari tour company unless I can pay by credit card. I would be willinjg to pay a 3-5% surcharge but not 10%. Thank you in advance for any replies.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

Most all in-country outfitters only accept payment by wire transfer. It's usual and it's rare to find any of these companies running off with the funds. I certainly recall any such issue posted here or other forums.

For the few who will accept credit cards, a surcharge is added and often dictated by their bank... not some made up percentage. If theirs is 10%, that's what it is.

Assume safari at $2500/person x 10% = $250.

The cost of wire transfer for deposit and then for final payment average $35-$50 each (depending on your financial institution)... wires win hands down.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
940 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

you don't mention if they asked you to wire the entire amount or merely a fraction of it to secure reservations etc. my company wanted me to transfer 30% after my booking and then the rest prior to arrival. However, when I told them there was no way I'd wire it all before I have seen one of them they agree to have the rest paid "in person", after I'll have landed in tanzania.

obviously you take a risk when you wire money to a company in east africa. on the other hand, you will most likely choose a company with an east african bank account because they offer better prices than companies based in your home land - so: if you want to gain something, you have to risk something

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

I have responded on your other post. why post it twice?

colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

I am new to tripadvisor and I thought that the Arusha forum would be separate from the Tanzania forum. Thank you for your original reply--it was helpful.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

No problem.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

Not many tour companies have access to credit card facilities. I know some use hotel credit card facilities for this.

But do you really want it to be lost into cyber space!

What is the companys name?

colorado
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

Tanzania-Adventure. Have you heard of the company?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

I would never ever give out such details as the three digit code on the reverse of the card. That is asking for trouble and you will immediately void any claim back to the card company.

A Bank transfer is far safer.

9. Re: Method of payment for an African Safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 05:17