We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

I'm going to be in Arusha next month, can anyone suggest a Jewelry Store where I might find some good bargains on Tanzanite? Also, do they welcome bartering on price? Or is the price the price?

Mike

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Gliter gems and Isle of Jewels are quite good. you can try bartering..

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Heritage Centre in Arush where you'll get a full explanation of the different grades of tanzanite. The place is large and has every sort of souvenir you could want.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

The Cultural Heritage Center is way overpriced and some of what they put out as "authentic" is actually being made in their back rooms. Their tanzanite is typically of low grade and way overpriced. Go there to look around, don't go there to buy. You can get the same things in other places in Arusha at much lower prices. It is a tourist trap. And typically, the safari operator who takes you there will get a commission from what they sell you.

For example, when I was there last I needed some necklaces for a person back home who wanted a large quantity of them. I went there and asked them in Swahili what their prices were and told them what I would pay for them; they looked startled when I began to speak Swahili to them. They went and asked others and I got some slightly over what they considered wholesale prices from them. I went to the Masai Village area of shops just off the downtown area and negotiated for about 1/2 of what the Cultural Heritage Center offered me as a "special" price. I also looked over their tanzanite and it was C grade at best with AAA pricing.

Des Moines
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Thank you...your detailed expatiations, that was the reason I sought you out. I have read a lot of your other replays and you always going in to much more detail then anyone else. It is really appreciated.

Do you have a favorite jewelry shop where you can get some nice quality at a fair price in Arusha? And do they take credit cards? I'm going to be spending a week in Moshi, any good shops there as well?

Also, my wife says men wearing shorts is frond on...is that true?

Des Moines
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Thank you so much!!

Mike

Des Moines
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

From the Cultural Heritage Center, where is the Masai Village Area? Is it far, can one walk there?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

The Masai Village of Shops is about 2 - 3 blocks down from the Clock Tower on the roundabout @ Boma, Sokoine streets (this is in the main downtown area of Arusha). Most everyone will know where the clock tower roundabout is located. It's walking distance from the Clock Tower, not from the Cultural Heritage Center.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Typically the only males wearing short pants in Tanzania is school children. I have seen tourists wearing shorts but it's rather unusual there.

For buying Tanzanite I would suggest Wiston Laizer, e-mail sunsetcamp2003@yahoo.com Wiston telephone +255 754 362598, he is an honest man, has an office in Dar and Arusha, and he has many more gemstones then Tanzanite. All his stones are cut stones not mounted but he can do the mounting if you want. I would negotiate with him, but once negotiated he's honest. His office is very small in Arusha but he will come to your hotel if you wish.

Des Moines
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

Thank you for both your replys! I will wear pants not shorts.

Des Moines
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzenite Jewelry in Arusha

What type of electrical converter plug does Tanzania use? The large Electrical Convertor kit we bought from Brookstone list every country but Africa. What do we use?

Mike