We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 extra day, what to do?

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 extra day, what to do?

Hi I have a trip that ends in Arusha and I have a day and a half before my flight leaves from Nairobi. In reality I have one extra day since half of a day will be spent traveling to Nairobi. Any recommendations on how to spend that day? My tour includes Arusha, Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Olduvai Gorge. I was considering Arusha National Park or perhaps head back to Nairobi and see either the animal orphanage or giraffe center? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha National Park
Arusha National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Gladiola Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Guruguru Safaris
Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kibira Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 extra day, what to do?

Hi,

I'm not sure how long you will have already spent in Arusha, but recently I spent some time in Arusha and you can easily spend a day there going to the Masaai market, visiting the UN Rwanda trials and just wandering around relaxing.

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 extra day, what to do?

I would recommend visiting Arusha national park. Its a lovely park with a few different options - i.e. watching the colobus monkeys and taking a walk with a ranger to get up close on foot with buffalo and giraffe. You can also canoeing on the lake if thats your thing.

i think this is a nice way to spend a final safari day!

Nikki

kilimanjaro
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 extra day, what to do?

Dear friend!

if your acommodation will be in moshi kilimanjaro i can helpe you to make a daytrip to climb mt kilimanjaro up to mandara hut / visit to marangu walter falls and back to arusha or moshi town.

that is my adevice

thanks

william

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
684 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 extra day, what to do?

We would recommend doing a Cultural Tour - visiting one of the many interesting villages around Arusha. Your safari operator should be able to book a guide for you.

We visited Ilkidinga village on arrival in Arusha end of Dec2009 on a half-day tour where we also got to see the farmlands, walked among the plantations, visited the school and so on, and it was very interesting seeing and hearing about everyday life of the Arusha people living in this village.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 extra day, what to do?

Arusha National park is my favourate park. Just the walk alone is stunning.

But if you think you would be all safari'd out, you can try the UN (on Fridays they only work half day!!) try to get your safari company to check the times with the UN. This way if there is not a case on you can choose something else to do.

Also there are walks leaving from the INfo place and Via Via in town. And some lodges, L'Oasis, Ilboru, Arumeru do have locals that can take you for walks to water fals and Maasai villages.

As I spent too much time shopping every week in the Fruit and vegmarket. i would not recommend it. I 'hate' it with a passion.. But if must, then I would also get someone to take you around.

The Mt meru markets (Maasai Markets) is a big curio store. You can get some great things there.

Also you can just take time out for a massage. or even a pedi/meni cure or all ofabout $US10. Sit and watch the world go buy while you get hat safari dirt scrubed off your feet. Nice!

6. Re: 1 extra day, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 08:16