We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi!

Hi,

Cant believe that my trip has come around so soon. I am off in less than 2 weeks.

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get a taxi in Arusha.

I have been to some countries and cities where all you need to do is put your hand out and one pulls up, but I am aware that this is not likley in Africa.

I am looking at travelling out of Arusha (furthest will be 5-10 km) and wanted to know also how easy it is to get back to town.

I have also heard about Dala~dala. Can anyone comment on what these are like.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Many thanks

courty55

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Warrnambool
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi!

I stayed in Arusha for 2 nights before my safari, and used a taxi twice, they were easy to find, usually outside the door of the hotel. cost you need to bargain but under $20 for most trips. if you are a local you can probably get them cheaper. I went to the Maasai market, central market (fruit and vegetables) and out to the cultural centre, an overpriced art gallery.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi!

Where will you be staying?

Most lodges and hotels will have some parked out the front and others will be able to call up for you to prefurred taxis.

From Impala Hotel to Shoprite (one side of town to the other during the day. You should not pay any more then 8'000 ($US8). At night is another thing. Add about 5'000 onto it.

Yes you can barter. And do so. Just do not b silly about it. nd remember most of these driver are up before you, and go to bed after you. And saved long and hard for their taxis.

I have 3 taxi drivers numbers for Arusha, onefor KIA, one in Dar and one in Zanzibar. If you would like the numbers, please email me

Mentioned in this post
Impala Hotel
Impala Hotel
295 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi!

It's actually hard to walk out your door and -not- be offered a taxi in Arusha...

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzania and did training in Arusha for 2.5 months in 2002. The ability of the taxi drivers to offer their services was a little humorous to us trainees once we got used to it - someone actually made a shirt that said "Sitaki taxi" on the front, which means "I don't want a taxi." You can walk past a line of a dozen taxis, and that last guy in line will still ask if you want a taxi, even though all the ones in front already asked and you already said no to all of them.

You will get a tourist price for taxis. The less-than-$20-a-ride comment above was surprising to me - technically, it should be less than $5 a ride. But haggling can spoil your day if you don't feel comfortable with it and/or don't know what a price should be, so if you can afford it, go ahead and pay the $20. You can always ask the hotel clerk what a fare should be, although they may be friends with enough taxi drivers to give you a high estimate as well.

Enjoy your trip! It can be a little overwhelming there, but if you go with the flow (but stay safe), you should have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
State College, Pa
Level Contributor
795 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi!

Just have to add a couple of comments if for nothing else than the positive experience we had with a taxi in Arusha. While staying at the African Tulip this past November my wife and I decided to venture to a local Chinese eattery recommended by hotel staff for an evening meal. As it turned out the establishment was relatively close by but we were strongly suggested to get a taxi. He hailed one and negotiated a price telling me to pay half now, arrange for a pick-up and pay the other half later. The restaruant turned out to be like 2 blocks away! But, we appreciated the safety of being driven there. After eating and venturing outside I happened to say the word "taxi" in conversation with my wife. A young lad upon hearing "taxi" yelled he would get one for me and ran down the street to a darken area where an fellow was cleaning his car. I tipped the lad for his effort. As the driver came over I explained we had already made arrangments for a pick-up but that we would certainly consider his availability shortly. I recalled that neither the first vehicle nor this one had any markings suggesting they were official taxis. But, when the first didn't show, we spoke to the new driver. I asked the price to the African Tulip and as one might expect it was somewhat higher than our first ride. So, I mentioned such and the price immediately came down and within the range I would have paid even with a tip. So, we got in. I must admit I was somewhat apprehensive about the situation as for all I knew we would end up on some back street minus a few things. My wife felt quite a bit more comfortable. After all the driver was dressed in a nice pin striped suit! No problem.

The next morning we ask our guide Nicholas about taxis. He said some have obvious "Taxi" signs, others simply have a number in a handside circle on the side of the vehicle and others are private vehicles with owners looking to make some money during free time. In any case, we had a good experience.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
5. Re: Taxi!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:18