We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

Kisumu, Kenya
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the the shuttle between Nairobi and Arusha would be safe for two women travelers? I have been to East Africa several times but have stuck with air travel. I'm thinking of taking the Impala shuttle.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

It's safe, but a long trip. Especially now with lots of road construction. Be prepared for a 5-6/hr trip. Departing at 8am you'll arrive Arusha about 2pm. Many who choose this option prefer the Riverside over Impala Shuttle.

Kisumu, Kenya
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

Thanks so much for the info. I saw the Riverside shuttle. i will check that one out.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

I've used both the Riverside and the Impala shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha. Not any difference, I think the Impala buses might have been newer.

Both are safe.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

4sandi... I did it in 4 hrs just before I left. I think the buses should be calld flyers now :)

Shuttles are safe there are a few now:

Impala

Riverside

Bobbies

I would recommend either Impala and Riverside. Both are good and the drivers are pretty safe. Try to get the front passenger seat (beside the driver) the views are great and you might get tosee a giraffe or two. And at the boarder crossings always close your windows

nyc
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

kime75 -

Glad to hear only 4/hrs. Gather some road work is near completion, thus shortening the trip. Or as you say "buses should be called flyers." If the latter, then that can be dangerous. Wish they'd just finish the darn roads so the actual trip shouldn't be more than 4/hrs.

6. Re: Is the shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:18