We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Tanzanite

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Tanzanite

Just a word of warning if you are looking for Tanzanite in Arusha. Avoid African Galleria and Mr. Anit Dodhia. He sold me what was purportedly a 1.5 carat AA stone. Had it appraised and it turned out to be only a B. Caveat Emptor but don't give your business to this rip off clown.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Buying Tanzanite

hi Neil

can you also purchase jewelry from George or just stones?

thanks

Louise

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Buying Tanzanite

When people who sell polished stones sell you something, they typically don't have them set in jewelry; however there are those there who can do this for you but it will take at least a day or two to do this typically. Whoever sells you the stones can handle this, or they should be able to.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Buying Tanzanite

Thanks Karl,

Do you a recommendation for Arusha as to a reputable seller

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Buying Tanzanite

There is a place called something like Tanzanite Experience on India Street in Arusha (near to the clock tower roundabout), unless they have moved. They are not the least expensive but are probably the most reliable on the street. Do not get sucked in at the Cultural Heritage out a ways, they are very expensive for what you get. There are private dealers such as Winston Laizer who will come to your hotel.

Arusha, Tanzania
2 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: Buying Tanzanite

There is a shop in Mt. Meru Hotel .

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Buying Tanzanite

There are shops in many of the tourist hotels, all overpriced and under quality/graded IMO. They are probably good pieces, but if you shop this a little (and for the prices asked, you should) you will soon see what a good stone is and what it is not, and you will find the prices vary a lot for the same quality. And don't accept a piece of paper they call a grading sheet, unless it's from an internationally recognized laboratory like EGL (European Gemological Laboratory) or GIA (Gemological Institute of America) probably the most trusted name in Gemological Laboratories. Anyone can make a grading sheet on their computer and many do, all this is will be advertising puffery and not worth the paper it is written on.

Arusha, Tanzania
12 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: Buying Tanzanite

In Arusha, there are genuine and most reputable Tanzanite gemstone stores.

Tanzanite genuine dealers maintain their respect and make sure they deliver quality. The Tourist should also expect advise from Tour Operator office by which he/she booked the Tanzania tour.

Cultural Heritage located in Dodoma road, near Tanzania parks Hq office and Tanzanite Experience at India Street in Arusha are recommended.

Also Kilimanjaro Tanzanite Safaris Co.Ltd is a reputable Tour Operator which offers wildlife safari tours and kilimanjaro climbing trips as well as professional advise about tanzanite buying guidelines

Mercer Island...
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Buying Tanzanite

HI Karl,

I saw Wilson's name mentioned in this thread by another post but I can't find the post that you recommending him, I tried to search under your name but I don't think it goes back that far... I was gong to PM you but I figure other people might benefit from this question. Can you tell me what is his title? Is he a wholesaler of Tanzanite? I would love to buy a nice Tanzanite when I'm there this July, kicking my self for buying a necklace last April in St. Thomas, I know I got totally ripped off, but I didn't expect to be going to Tanzania so soon. Can you also tell me if his email is still correct?

Thank you!

I.ve never used a cutter there, but know where they are. Go to India street in Arusha (near to the clock tower roundabout) and ask people in that aream they have cutters there/ Tanzanite One has a cutting ship there but I don't know if they do anything other then for themselves, you may have difficulty getting in there. Tanzanite One is the Arusha company of DeBeers for Tanzanite. You might also want to contact Wiston Laizer and he might be able to direct you in the right direction. His email is sunsetcamp2003@yahoo.com

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Buying Tanzanite

Leaving for Tanzania tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips and advice on buying Tanzanite.

Timely and much appreciated.

70. Re: Buying Tanzanite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:18