We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

My friend and I summited Kilimanjaro via the Lemosho Route in September 2010 with Aardvark Expeditions, and could not be happier with the experience. The guides were knowledgeable, friendly and experienced: Our guide Freddy had summited over 90 times, our cook Sam was phenomenal, always finding ways to give us new tasty dishes, and our porters were extremely hard working and affable. Watching other groups along the route to the top, we could sense a disconnect between the guides/porters and the trekkers. Our experience with Freddy and his team was very close: we ate together, they taught us to communicate/sing in Swahili and at one point, even got into deep discussions about the future of the Middle East/Science/Pitbull's Calle Ocho. At the end of the trip, we took the whole team out for beers and chopped goat. Philemon Joel, the head of Aardvark Expeditions, was very helpful in coordinating the trip from aboard, very responsive to emails and punctual on our arrival. I have the utmost respect for Philemon, and would recommend him and his great team for everyone.

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

After receiving and sorting through several quotes my Wife and I booked our five day Northern Circuit Serengeti safari with Philemon at Aardvark Expeditions. They had competitive pricing, quick communication and tremendous patience for my extraneous questions. Our driver Thomas was fantastic, he's got a great personality, very knowledgeable, a good guide and driver. The Seronera lodges we booked were all very nice, especially Lobo. Trip went much smoother than I could have imagined, highly recommend the team at Aardvark.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
19 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

I have just returned from a three week trip to Tanzania which included a 7 day safari in the Northern Circuit arranged by Aardvark Expeditions. It was brilliant from start to finish. Everything went smoothly and was as expected. I don't have a single gripe about the experience. The guide, Joshua, was excellent in every respect (knowledgable, experienced, well organised, good personality) and I would definitely recommend him.

We went to 4 parks - Tarangire (half day), Lake Manyara (half day), Serengeti (3 days) and Ngorongoro Crater (1 day). All parks were different and were worthwhile. The accomodation was good, especially the tented lodge at the Sergengeti (Katikati). It was great to be right there close to nature - we had a group of elephants walk past during lunch one day. After that the regular lodges seemed quite boring as they are just normal hotels.

The whole trip was arranged through emails with Joel Philemon, the owner of Aardvark. It was very easy and he always replied promptly to my requests. Their quote was a bit cheaper than the other companies I contacted for a similar trip so this ended up being the deciding factor. The only slight gripe was that they don't take credit cards so I had to go to my bank to send a transfer both for the deposit and the balance. I also had to pay bank charges for this so that was an additional expense. Although I had heard that credit cards are not always accepted in Tanzania, I did find that most hotels took them even suprisingly a small family owned place in the Usambara Mountains which costs $50 a night and is a bit off the beaten track for tourists. It made me wonder if they could have a credit card facility, why all the others cannot as well. This was my only issue with Aardvark and I hope they will consider accepting credit cards/online payment in future as this will make things much easier for international customers.

All in all an excellent experience all round!

Edited: 24 September 2011, 06:33
Oshawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

In mid-October 2010, myself & a buddy visited Tanzania for the first time. We successfully completed the 5-day / 4-night trek up Kilimanjaro on the “Coca-Cola” (Marangu) Route with Aardvark & then followed that up with a 3-day / 2-night safari to the Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater & Tarangire National Parks. In addition, Philemon picked us up Kilimanjaro International Airport, arranged accommodations in Arusha & helped us book an onward flight to Zanzibar.

I’ve travelled extensively throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, North America & the Middle East over the last 25 years on business & for pleasure & rate my two weeks in Tanzania in my personal “Top 5 Trips”.

Philemon had much to do with this as I found him & his staff friendly, helpful, accommodating & trustworthy. We owe much to our experienced climbing guides Freddy & “Bura” & our excellent cook Richard. As well, the safari drivers were particularly knowledgeable & professional. Philemon always kept us informed, provided advice & was never pushy. Personally, he did me a great favour by renting me some key equipment that I forgot to bring / didn’t own at very short notice.

The only drawback was our inability to pay for the excursions by credit card after our arrival.

Despite this minor inconvenience, I’d recommend Philemon & Aardvark without reservation.

Happy trekking,

Bruce

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

I summited Kilimanjaro along with my friend on Feb 16th. Thank you so much to Philemon Joel from Aardvark Expeditions, our guides Freddy and Laurent, porters and cooks arranged by Aardvark for this amazing experience. We couldn't have made it to the top without their help and support. I highly recomment Philemon and his team....Aardvark is the best. We will visit Tanzania again.

Dublin, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

I summitted Kili in Feb 2012 & would like to mention that the experience was just AWESOME. Aardvark made it possible as their guides and crew were great. They took very good care of us & kept us motivated. After Kili, we also did Safari through them & it was again a very good experience.

Here are a few good things about Aardvark - (1) Their price is excellent (2) Their guides & crew are very helpful & Knowledgeable (3) They take really good care of their guests

I would also like to thank their Director Philemon for making this trip the most memorable trip of our lives.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

In February 2012 myself and 4 friends did a wildlife safari with Aardvark Expeditions. Our guide Emmanuel was extremely skilled in both find wildlife and teaching us about the animals and the environment we were in. We covered Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, all of which had unique characteristics and offered an astonishing variety of wildlife. Emmanuel was always alert, always polite and extremely helpful in helping us find such rare sightings as Black Rhinos in the Serengeti as well as leopards and cheetahs. We saw hundreds of animal species, ticked the "big five" off our list in under 3 days, were well-fed, well-guided and very well lodged throughout the experience.

Throughout our extensive planning process, Philemon was also very helpful in adapting the itinerary and answering our numerous questions. Despite our initial reticence to wire our payments (as opposed to using credit cards), all five of us wired our funds in advance and all services were delivered as planned and beyond our expectations.

I would recommend Aardvark to anyone looking for an affordable safari experience in Tanzania.

Oslo
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in mid March 2012 with Aardvark, and I was extremely satisfied with them. The owner Philemon Joel Laizer is very friendly, professional and service minded, and so is the whole staff. I did a great 6 days trekking up the Marangu route. The guide Freddy is very competent and friendly, and so was the rest of the team, all of them doing their utmost in order to help me all the way to the top, which I did reach , mostly thanks to them. It was truly great to experience the sunrise from the roof of Africa.

After climbing Kilimanjaro I did an excellent safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro with Aardvark, which was also really great, and with another friendly, excellent and very competent guide, Mody. Great thanks to Aardvark and the owner Philemon who organised my trip in such an efficient and excellent way on a very short notice. Philemon always continued to provide excellent service, also after I had done the online transfer of the whole fee for the Kilimanjaro trip and the safari. I give Aardvark my warmest recommendations!

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

I went on a 3 day safari booked through Aardvark Expeditions in March 2012. As a single traveller I really struggled to find a group to join and Philemon at Aardvark was super helpful in helping me find a trip at very short notice.

I was travelling up from Zanzibar arriving late the night before the safari. Philiemon met me from the bus station and drove me to my hotel (which he had helpfully booked) then spent time at an unsociable hour answering all my questions and ensuring I was fully comfortable with the trip.

As I was joining a group the route / type of safari (budget camping) had already been decided however whilst I might have preferred to spend a littlemore money to stay inside the safari parks and go as far as the Serengeti I really enjoyed the 3 days and was so tired by the end of full days that I was happy it was a 3 day trip.

Philemon lent me a sleeping bag which I hadn't taken with me, and even came to see me in my hotel once I had returned from safari to ensure I had had a good time.

I can fully reccommend Philemon and Aardvark to organise your tour.

Montserrat
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

If you are planning a safari to Tanzania, the Aardvark Expeditions and Philemon are your best choice. I planned an 8 day safari in tanzania with philemon and I was not disappointed. The service level was exellent and he did everything possible to accomodate our wishes. We were in a group of 7 and he selected an amazing set of hotels and tented camps. I am planning to send another group of friends with him this summer. thanks Philemon for a great trip and experiance

Munich
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

少し時間が経ってしまいましたが、9/11から4日間の日程でAardvark Expeditions社Richardの運転とガイドの元でサファリを楽しんできました。たった4日で2つの国立公園(Ngorongoro+Serengeti)、プラス、ヌーのマイグレーション(大移動)を見にケニア国境のマラ川まで行くというハードなスケジュールでしたが、収穫の多い、とても満足の行く素晴らしいツアーとなりました。

当初、5社の違ったサファリのツアー会社に、私たちの希望に合ったツアーを組んでもらえるように依頼したのですが、他の会社が私たちの希望を無視し、自分たちの都合の良い日程でのオファーを出してきたのに対し、唯一AardvarkのPhilemonだけが、私たちの希望を取り入れた日程でスケジュールを組んでくれました。価格の面でも、他社に比べて、かなりリーズナブルだったこともあり、Aardvarkにお願いすることにしたのですが、その決断は間違っていませんでした。

空港でのピックアップに始まり、ツアー中も全てが私たちの希望通りに進み、不自由することはありませんでした。Richardの直感のお陰で見たい動物は全て見ることができました。また、今回のハイライトはマラ川沿岸にいる何万頭ものヌーを見ることができたこと。できれば、川を渡るヌーの大群を見たかったのですが、残念ながら、その希望だけは叶いませんでした。

日本のツアーを使うと間に色んな企業が絡んでくるため、プライベートのサファリツアーを今回のような低価格で実現することは無理だと思います。言葉が不安な方たちにも日本語のできるドライバー兼ガイドを用意することができると言ってましたので、タンザニアでサファリをお考えの方には是非、Aardvark Expeditions社お薦めいたします。