We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

My friend and I summited Kilimanjaro via the Lemosho Route in September 2010 with Aardvark Expeditions, and could not be happier with the experience. The guides were knowledgeable, friendly and experienced: Our guide Freddy had summited over 90 times, our cook Sam was phenomenal, always finding ways to give us new tasty dishes, and our porters were extremely hard working and affable. Watching other groups along the route to the top, we could sense a disconnect between the guides/porters and the trekkers. Our experience with Freddy and his team was very close: we ate together, they taught us to communicate/sing in Swahili and at one point, even got into deep discussions about the future of the Middle East/Science/Pitbull's Calle Ocho. At the end of the trip, we took the whole team out for beers and chopped goat. Philemon Joel, the head of Aardvark Expeditions, was very helpful in coordinating the trip from aboard, very responsive to emails and punctual on our arrival. I have the utmost respect for Philemon, and would recommend him and his great team for everyone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

My friend and I enjoyed an amazing safari experience in Tanzania mid January this year (2014). Aardvark Expeditions truly helped us to make our trip unforgettable. Philemon, the Sales & Marketing Manager, proved to be extremely helpful and reliable during the trip and before our arrival. We received suitable advice and first class comfort throughout the entire experience. That said, should we have wanted budget accommodation, that too was available if preferred. Communications were handled efficiently and his team was very friendly, knowledgeable and experienced (special thanks go to our Safari guide, Bariki). We feel that our concerns and needs were always considered and met to our satisfaction. We strongly suggest Aardvark Expeditions to anyone, who is looking for a reliable organisation that can deliver top-notch service!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
8 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

Kat S - how long was your safari and where did you start and end? What was your itinerary? Did you arrange for the air travel to Tanzania or did the tour company help you with the arrangements? We are in the early stages of doing a safari later in the year so we are looking for a reliable company to work with. Thanks.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 13:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

Hi Ruth

We went on a three days safari. We did 1) Tarangire National Park; 2) Lake Manyara National Park; and 3) Ngorongoro Crater because our time was quite limited. The safari was absolutely amazing; I truly recommend Aardvark Expeditions. They are reliable and provide excellent customer service. We arranged the air travel ourselves because we climbed Kilimanjaro first with other friends with whom we flew. I am sure that Aardvark can help you to arrange the air travel and to suggest other safari routes, if you so wish. They are very professional. Please do not hesitate to ask me further questions. Regards

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

I totally second that headline!

We did a safari with Aardvark expeditions in September 2014 and it was all we expected and more. We did 5 days, just the two of us, and toured the Tarangire, Serengeti and Nogorongoro Crater. The whole safari was organised by Philemon, who took great care of my partner and I on our arrival and departure days in Arusha. He also replied to all our (many!) queries prior to our trip. On our arrival, he made sure we were well catered for at our lodge and even took us to an amazing African restaurant, where we felt immersed in the Tanzanian culture, far away from the many tourists in Arusha.

Godefrey (driver) and Moses (cook) formed a fantastic team and were eager to make our safari a memorable experience. And it was definitely memorable. We saw all the big 5! Yes, there’s a bit of luck involved but on a couple of occasions Godefrey spotted animals from miles away and drove us to them. The most amazing example was when he spotted a Rhino in the Ngorongoro Crater (only 15 left in the entire park!) on our last day. You definitely needed sharp eyes to see it. We also saw plenty of zebras, gazelles, elephants, giraffes, lions, lionesses, cubs etc. and had quite a few sightings of leopards and cheetahs. Moses was also a fantastic cook, making much needed warm soup when the weather was getting chilly in the evening and the most delicious one was his cucumber soup. Both Moses and Godefrey chose a great campsite in the Seronera area of the Serengeti. It was very quiet, laid back and there was a burrow of Banded Mongoose nearby, which meant that we had the most incredible sighting of a pack of 20 leaving it together in the morning. It was wonderful to witness wildlife this close-up as soon as waking up. We definitely had great fun during our five days with them, felt safe and even learnt a few words of Swahili.

I highly recommend Aardvark expeditions, especially if you want to get a true feel for the parks. We chose to do 5 days, including 2.5 in the Serengeti and I highly recommend this circuit too. 5 days is perfect to take the time to see the animals. Doing just 3 parks and staying at least 2 days in the Serengeti is best as we never felt like we were rushing from one park to the next.

Launceston
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

My husband and I just completed an 8 day safari with Aardvark in October 2014. We visited Lake Manyara, Serenegeti and Ngorongora National Parks where we saw the big 5. We could not be happier with the experience starting from the planning stages to the completion of the safari.

Philemon Joel, managing director of Aardvark Expeditions, helped us to put together the safari offering advice as to the best places to see the migration, where to stay, etc. This was first done through emails to us in Australia and then later when we were already in the Arusha area, coming in person to talk with us. His prompt reply to our many emails with queries and many changes to the itinerary was done in a professional manner.

Our driver, Godfrey, was very knowledgeable about the wildlife and very adept at spotting wildlife which we couldn't see. By driving at a leisurely pace we saw lions, leopards, cheetahs and the black rhino in Ngorongoro Crater as well as herds of wildebeest, gazelles and many many more animals, birds and reptiles. He also assisted with all aspects of our safari - accommodation, balloon safari, etc.

By learning a few Swahili phrases before our arrival greatly enhanced our interaction with the staff at lodges and we had many interesting conversations which resulted in furthering our understanding of the people and their culture.

We would recommend the Aardvark team to anyone wanting a truly wonderful safari experience.

36. Re: Aardvark Expeditions Great Value

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Arusha