We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow Fever

I am taking KLM from New York to JRO this summer roundtrip for a week to do a safari. I heard it is required to have a yellow fever shot. I also have heard it is NOT required if you are on the KLM flight from Amsterdam. I am not sure if this is dated information or if it is true that you do not need the shot. Or should I get the shot anyway bc it truly is a risk? Never been to Africa so Not sure. Thanks'

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Shadows of Africa
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever

Get the shot. I have never heard that the KLM flight from AMS is immune to the Tanzania Ministry of Health wanting everyone inoculated before entering the country. You risk being asked to produce the YF certificate upon arrival at JRO, and possibly having to take the jab on the spot. or denied entry into the country. Not a good way to start a safari.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever

Yeah I thought it was weird myself, but its not particular to the KLM flight, I just read on quite a few websites that if you enter from a country in Europe such as Netherlands or England it is not required, that it is only required when you enter from a country such as Kenya or Ethiopia, etc.... information online is so confusing.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever

Medical advice: Seek advice from a medical professional.

Travel advice: Get the YF shot or bring documentation from your doctor or travel clinic that it is contraindicated (or something like that). Then you will be safe in any scenario.

(I should start tracking how many times I post this comment.)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever

I believe if you are traveling direction from the USA through Amsterdam into TZ, you are not required by TZ regulations, to have the YF vaccine. You would be require to upon entry into TZ if you were coming in from a country identified by the TZ government, such as Kenya.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever

Please read many of the recent posts on this. There are plenty.

What Timesharevon doesn't say is that, even if there is no "requirement", you may still be required to prove you have it.

The people who count are those whom you may meet as you enter the country, and who have the power to turn you round.

Grand Rapids...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever

Want to know if you got the YF Shot before you left the US?

Did you incounter any problems at JRO airport?

The CDC is still saying the US does not have a YF epidemic as of today!

Therefore we are not able to bring YF to Tanzania with us-

sorry people!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Fever

m0mfhb-

The CDC has no say so in what Tanzania requires. The CDC has no influence on what an officer at the airport requires. There is no website that can guarantee that someone will not ask for the certificate or proof, regardless of what anyone posts. If an officer there in the airport wants to see the proof, then it is required and they don't care about anyone else's opinion, the cdc, and website or any post. That is the issue. Inconsistent enforcement. CDC website does not apply to an individual officer in the airport. Sorry to burst your bubble. Chances are, you won't be asked. If you are, you are screwed of you quote the CDC or a website as your reasoning.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Fever

I have read most, if not ALL the posts on the YF issue. My question is.....if we produce the yellow certificate indicating the vaccine was contraindicated, does this completely satisfy the TZ agents? We will be coming from South Africa. I certainly don't want to risk being turned away or having to take the jab if we have the exemption from our travel clinic.

Harrisburg...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Fever

Going to Tanzania next summer and am over age of 60. CDC website said that Yellow Fever vaccine not generally recommended for travelers from US. Vaccine can cause harsh side effects in those over 60 .years old. Not sure I want to take that chance, connecting thru Amsterdam to JRO airport, and would not need it unless plane was diverted to another country in Africa where vaccine is mandatory. Confused by this forum, has anyone been asked for yellow fever certificate entering Tanzania from Europe? And another question, what are people taking for prevention of malaria? CDC site gives doxyclicline as one of recommended anti-malarials and that has fewer side effects than the other malaria drugs. Any help from previous travelers to Tanzania is appreciated.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Fever

An exemption certificate will suffice at the airport. If over 60, go to a travel clinic, discuss and get an exemption if you do not want to take the jab. There are several lengthy posts here on this forum where your YF questions have been answered (and the horse has been beaten to death...)

As far as malaria prophylaxis, go to an experienced travel doctor than can discuss based on your age and medical conditions. Doxycycline does not have the lowest side effects, but it is the cheapest. Malarone is commonly taken and has a lower side effect, but still has side effects. Larium has issues as well. Costs vary greatly. Go to a travel clinic and discuss with them. There is also a great variation in timing of the drugs and length of treatment and costs and side-effects and interactions with other drugs and...