We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha safe for single woman

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Arusha safe for single woman

my husband will be trekking up Kilimanjaro and I will be on my own for around 4-5 days. Will I be safe in Arusha and can anyone recommend a safe and friendly hotel/Lodge to stay.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

You will be fine. It would be your husband I should be concerned over if he is to try Kilimanjaro in less than 5 nights.

As to where to stay in Arusha. L'Oasis gets good reviews at a modest budget as does Korona. Both are quiet enough to relax in. Moivaro and Aromeru are a bit further out and up market but again very safe and pleasant.

but what will you do for 5 days? Why not arrange for a car and driver to take you on some short excursions such as Arusha National Park?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Arusha is very safe. There are many hotels and lodges such as those Mfuwe mentioned. If you want to stay in the town centre and walk around a bit-try the New Arusha Hotel or the Safari Hotel or more budget Naaz. These three are really central.

The ones Mfuwe mentioned are excellent however.

I would hire a car and travel a bit to Arusha National park or even Kilimanjaro itself.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

You are right of course NoEXp but my concern for a lone lady in the Hotels in town would be how she coped in a Public Restaurant or Bar without attracting unwelcome attentions.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

5/days for a Kili trek! Scary for sure. Too short for one to acclimate to the altitude.

There are a wide array of hotels in/around Arusha, but you may prefer to be 'in town' rather than the outskirts. Easy enough to walk about and it's safe.

Also, as mentioned maybe arrange for a day trip to Arusha NP (not cheap, but if not doing safari, it's the closest you'll get). Likewise, you can arrange a visit to nearby villages - N'gresi or Terengu (sp); visit a school/orphanage.

Assume hubby is using an in-country outfitter for his trek and many/most of them can also arrange activities in/around Moshi (from where the Kili trek starts/ends) and/or Arusha - inquire of them for what and prices.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,517 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

I think Ahadi Lodge would be perfect for you. Erica (the owner ) can arrange for a private driver to take you wherever you'd like to go for a very reasonable price and the lodge is just a lovely place to chill out for a few days. Food is good too. http://www.ahadi-lodge.com/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Check out Tumaini cottage as well.

I have wondered if it is possible to just get a ride to Tarangire NP and stay a few days at Tarangire Wilderness Lodge... I could imagine between the views and the pool just hanging out there, maybe tagging along on a game drive or three... Part of my fantasy is renting a car, driving to Tarnagire, and spending a week taking pictures of the baobabs...

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Arusha is safe, as long as you practice good street smarts. There are zillions of touts (called flycatchers) on the streets of Arusha and they can be annoying, and some can be thieves. Don't walk about at night (take a taxi), don't allow yourself to be cornered by touts, don't carry large handbags which they can easily slip into if there is a crowd of them. Don't display expensive jewelry, cameras, etc. This is a very poor country and some might see you as an easy touch.

But if you walk about with self-confidence during the day time hours, don't allow yourself to get stopped by touts, and go directly to where you wish to go; you will be fine. Better yet hire a taxi driver for the day to take you places (negotiate hard and you will be surprised at what you can get an all day driver for).

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Like idiotsabroad's idea... if budget allows, why not arrange a mini-safari and head to Tarangire. It's only 2/hr drive south of Arusha, a gem of a park, lots of elephants; a mini-migration between July-Oct, and the amazing landscape with baobab trees. You'll have your own guide/vehicle and can schedule your time here as you wish. Even though most go out early on game drives (6am), you can choose instead 8am and stay as long or short, or whatever. It's so great to have the freedom to do as you wish.

Another thing you can discuss with the tour operator who is handle hubby's trek. Of course, you'll be hit with a single supplement... but hey, it's Africa and hubby is leaving you on your own for a few, so take advantage of, make the most of it and ENJOY!

9. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 09:35
San Jose, California
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

I also recommend L'Oasis and Milimani Lodge - we stayed at L'Oasis on my last trip to Arusha. Karl makes a good point about safety, to reiterate, don't walk by yourself at night, get a taxi or a tour operator to take you on excursions. If you're up for trying out local places, one of my favorite food spot is the Khan's BBQ - a hole in a wall place but the BBQ is out of this world, that is if you can take spicy/Indian food with a blend of African spices.