We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Topic
Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

As 1st July, with no notice, there has been an increase in the flight departure tax/fee from and within Tanzania - International and Domestic flights.

These fees are NOT currently included in your airline ticket (though hopefully eventually they will be), so be sure to have sufficient USD to pay as:

USD$10/pp for International flights

USD$4/pp for Domestic flights

Understand there are signs all over the airports at JRO, DAR, ZNZ and assume Mwanza and others... but many recent fliers have been caught unaware with no funds.

For those who haven't departed on their safaris, suggest you verify with your tour operator/outfitter where you stand if you are holding flight tickets.

Alberta
Level Contributor
343 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

This happened to us just before flying to Ecuador. Agent notified us and it was up to us to have the funds. We were prepared to pay but were never asked......I guess we got lucky. See if we are this lucky when we go in Dec!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

Thanks for the warning. I will revert as to how KLM cope with that. My tickets say "all taxes" so my guess is they will soak it up.

Do I read it that folks turn up at an airport with less than $10 in their wallets? How are they going to tip the taxi driver back home?

Edited: 09 July 2012, 22:37
nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

Not sure whether the Intl carriers had the notice in timely fashion to include in their tickets, even if purchased after 1st July... I'd inquire of KL or others.

As to visitors departing and not having funds* ... no surprise there. I can understand them departing having used all local currency, but then not having any of their own? Beats me! Guess they figure once home there's an ATM or can pay taxi/limo/car service by credit card, if friend or family not picking them up.

All kinds of travelers, all kinds of habits.

*not sure whether GBP or Euro are accepted or only USD.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

This has been done before, what they do at both Kilimanjaor and Dar airports is they have a small kiosk set up where they collect this, and I believe they put a sticker on your ticket so that the agent knows the departure tax has been paid. They collect this as you are waiting for your bags to be collected and you check in. That's the same amount as the last time (about 4 or 5 years ago). They would accept any money in payment, just don't expect them to make change.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

Yes, "we, the humble tourist" will have rightfully ditched all out TZSh as we should but cleaned out our Wallets? Never mind the ATMs at home, Limos etc., (Limos! When you are cleaned out??) but what about all the other bits and bobs you folks buy to nibble or drink during layovers? Souvenirs and silly hats?

Top ups of Sim cards, whatever. I really find that hard to believe that somebody embarking on a long haul flight involving at least one change of plane will not have some money on them if I were to shake em down..

Scene is Snack Bar at Schipol, Silly o clock next morning. "Hey Garkon, Can I have a packet of Ringos and two of them Coffee things? Do ya take American Express?"

Princess. I would like to know your source for this story. KLM are totally oblivious on it.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

Limos in the States do take credit cards!

Can't say what's doing in other countries, but here in the States, so many people walk about without any cash in their pockets (ok, maybe $20), and just use their debit/credit cards for whatever they purchase daily. Whether they're getting FF points or points-to-dollar exchange, can't say... but that seems to be the way nowadays.

Not me, as if I have the cash for most anything less than USD$100 and often so just pay for whatever... could never see using plastic for a burger or coffee or some attire... just pay for the darn stuff, but others don't.

At Schiphol (and maybe other European/Middle East/Southeast Asia airports)... what's nice is that their coffee/restaurants wait staff seem to accept GBS, USD and probably other Western Currencies as payment.

Info about these increases were initially found on another Forum from a recently returned visitor departing Tanzania after 1st July; then verified with my peeps in Arusha who had only learned of these increases day prior to my query. Again, last minute, so can't say if/which international carriers have been notified.

I recall about 3/yrs back there were fuel surcharge increases (varied from carrier-to-carrier) from the likes of Coastal, Regional, etc. - last minute; though small amounts ($5, $7, $10 per segment) visitors had to be advised beforehand, to either pay to their outfitter or on site direct to the carrier on departure.

Hey, it's a heads-up, till we learn more.

NY
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

From Fodors

fodors.com/community/…tanzania-exit-fee.cfm

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

Thanks for both posts. I had to laugh on fodors when that poster mentioned flying from JR to AMS via NBO. Silly man is paying this $10 increased charge twice now. KLM to JRO and back via DAR makes even more sense now.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

But the KL fare via NBO in/out might well have been lower than AMS/JRO - DAR/AMS.

Glad the person did post on Fodor's or we'd all be in the dark, till outfitters became aware and advised their clients, or clients hit with such fees at the airports.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Increase in Departure Taxes - Better have currency to pay!

The fare is the fare but two International departure taxes is Unfair.