We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Tanzania

Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Volunteering in Tanzania

Hi Karl,

Thank you for all this valuable information. I would very much appreciate any comments you may have about a volunteer program in Moshi, "Give a Heart to Africa." I believe they operate a school for adult women and offer a variety of courses. They welcome volunteers who are interested in teaching in their program. They offer room and board and charge a fee which seems "moderate."

Having the opinion of someone who has first-hand experience in Tanzania and an overview of the volunteer organizations is invaluable. Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

I don't know this organization, but I went and looked on their website and they don't look too bad for a volunteer organization. They don't charge all that much, so that's a plus. I'm not certain about what someone can accomplish in 3 weeks and don't know who they have teaching (do they have business experience or are they someone who only had some classes in it; that don't work).

So have a go at it. Good luck.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

I know you did not ask for information on other organizations, but I am going to mention Foot2Afrika as an alternative. My daughter and I volunteered there for 4 weeks this past June, and our experience was amazing. And their fees are even "more moderate" than the one you mentioned above!! They are also in Moshi.

http://foot2afrika.com/

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

I am rather like Brian on this subject of Volunteering; the tourist areas of Tanzania (Arusha and Moshi) have many "volunteer" places set up and they get a lot of the volunteers who go there.

One should consider going to places outside the tourist areas, like Central Tanzania, Southern Tanzania, and Western Tanzania. There are many volunteer opportunities there and it's much different IMO.

Buses operate all over Tanzania and one can get to rather remote places easily, just takes a bit of time. If you're going to be spending weeks on this effort, why not go to places where your skills are more needed because very few goes to these places. I can almost guarantee you that your own self satisfaction will be more than doubled.

I have done volunteer work in the Arusha area, and in fact am connecting electronically with one of my volunteer clients in Arusha today to do some things for them. The need is everywhere, so don't hesitate to look everywhere.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

As Karl says, there is a large need outside the 'cities'. It might all depend on your age/energy capacity, how experienced you are living with few modern amenities, what you have to offer, and your ability to cope with culture shock.

Like Kathy F above, I went to Foot2Afrika for a month volunteering in April/May. Though I was housed in Moshi, my project was out of the city. It was still on city water, had electricity (but they didn't use it) and clean squats. I am older, but this was my first volunteer trip and I will admit that I appreciated a real bed in the volunteer house, and the ability to wash up.

The reality is that the real need is out of the cities. However, the adjustments of the volunteer is greater. Know that you are capable of that learning curve. All volunteers at one time or another may have their moments of "OMG, what am I doing here?" but if you can work through it and put your energies for your group, it will reward in may ways.

Please, just be sure you have skills to offer. Determine why you are doing this. If it is for your resume, please don't go. If it is to get your feet wet and see what you can do as a young person with few marketable skills, then volunteer in town. If you have special knowledge to offer farmers, subsistance living environments, education, teaching English, then please take it out of the city to where they have little.

In the little green box above, there is a search function. Type in Volunteer - there will be lots of threads about it. I have a number of them. Also, from the Tanzania Forums page (not Arusha) there are frequently asked questions on the right side of the screen. The second question relates to short term volunteering.

One last word, in North America, because we are giving up our vacations, we think that 3 or 4 weeks is a long commitment. For us it is, for them, it is barely enough time to get to know you. Really making an impact takes months. You will be dealing with jet lag, culture awareness, adjustment to food, learning the curriculum, assessing how the Tanzanian people communicate and learn. Then you realize, they say "yes" to everything, but aren't really understanding. You then have to adjust. Your project says from day one you are making a difference - with all due respect, maybe sometime in the second week, you will have your groove and start to offer something. Think about that and whether it is really what you want.

5. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 12:05
6. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 December 2012, 18:05
Arusha, Tanzania
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

Hi Gary,

tell me how to post safari picks to the trip advisors

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

Despite the short period of time and learning curve, I actually encourage you to still consider volunteering. Even small things can make an impact and every little bit help so I think a short trip volunteering would be rewarding both for you and those you work with. Further, in my experience, one short volunteering experience often leads to a repeat longer trip.

I say go for it.

9. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 22:05
Yadkinville, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Volunteering in Tanzania

I am wanting to do some volunteer work in Tanzania...I like your idea of checking out some opportunities in other areas of Tanzania rather than sticking with Arusha or Moshi. Do you have any suggestions of places (schools that don't get very much support where I can teach English), or orphanages or even to help support those affected by HIV/AIDS.

My e-mail address is debbiepilson@hotmail.com. Can you e-mail me??